Can Iscan HD accept 576i (not 576p) on DVI input

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by henry1234, Apr 30, 2007.

1. henry1234

henry1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    This might be a silly question.

I would like to feed a scaler a digital 576i siganl from a DVD player so that the scaler does the de-interlacing and I bypass the digital>analogue>digital.

I can not afford an SDI modded player or SDI input scaler.

I would like to use a digital signal from the DVD player, and I understand DVI output only supports 480p or 576p not 480i or 576i.

HDMI does support 576i so I was thinking HDMI>DVI lead.

The scaler I am thinking about is the iscan hd or hd+. For digital they only have a DVI input.

There is no mention of either scaler accepting 576i via the DVI.

Is this an omission becuase it is simply not possible, or is it becuase no-one does this.

I will not be needing an HDCP as my plasma doesn't accept it a anyway and this is all for standard def stuff.

2. Thatsnotmynaim

Thatsnotmynaim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +817
    HDMI and DVI are fully interchangable video wise, with very little between them. The 576p or 576i thing I think is a license or standard thing and the DVI standard does not support it, I think, under it's license agreement. As such the DVI socket will accept 576i, but the DVI output of your DVD player is unlikely to output it. Which DVD player do you have?

3. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    iScan HD+ can, regualr HD model can not. In fact I seem to remember the regular model not being able to do much at all with DVI/HDMI input.

However, since HDMI will be carrying HDCP this is no solution for you anyway. You will have to get an SDI mod to the DVD player, and an SDI mod to the VP if you want to use digital video without a HDCP compliant screen.

Or you will need to use a HDMI-VGA converter, and convert the output of the VP to analogue to run with your display. Anything HDMI from a DVD player will be carrying HDCP on it.

BTW the DVDO website has not omitted that the HD+ does 576i and the HD does not, it's on the spec page for each product:

http://www.anchorbaytech.com/products/b-stock/systems/iscan_hd+.php

4. Ian Trotter

Ian Trotter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Some related info,

I'm currently trying to set up a HTPC to work with my HD+, I did intend to use a SDI output (bought Xcard & SDI output slave) but GB-PVR software crashes whenever I try to use the card as the output.

So I've had to use a standard graphics card, on first test I've set the DVI 'TV' output to 576p, 720p & 1080i with differing results. None of these create a correct sized, centred image. The info screen from the iscan says that it is just 'passing through' the signals but the spec sheet says that it should process them.

I'm going to try bypassing the scaler next and use the PC (VGA) input into the screen media box.

Does anyone know of a way to get SDI from a HTPC?

Not much help to you Henry sorry.

5. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    Personally I don't like the idea of SDI from a PC. It's only worth it for SD video for a start, text from browsers etc is gonna look weird and it won't be doing HD over SDI. So now you are using your PC as just a transport for SD DVD, to be output via SDI. Yet with all that noisy electronics going on in the PC you would probably get a picture no better than a decent SDI modified DVD player! The SDI DVD player having the advantage of being much nicer (and quicker) to use and more than likely a better quality audio output - especially if it's the Meridian in your sig!!!

6. Ian Trotter

Ian Trotter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Liam,
    (Henry1234 I don't mean to hijack your thread, sorry)

Yes, for DVD disc playing I would still use my Meridian combo (even though there is a lipsync issue using the MHR link & external VP) for personal taste.
    Since this is so good I am just looking to get as much out of other sources as I can, DVB TV, for everyday use. Plus more 'accessible' media library replay for the family and additional features over the Pace twin currently in use.

This PC / screen would not be used for surfing / browsing the web.

I obviously know the ultimate picture quality will be generally limited by transmission bitrate but I was trying to take out as much processing (& D-A + A-D conversions) as possible.

I do see myself upgrading both screen (next gen Pioneer 1080p panel? not TV!) and VP in the foreseable future, but again I would just like to get the most out of what I have at the moment. Any advice welcome.

Ian T.

7. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    Henry1234

The deinterlacing in the HD+ is quite old technology now. You might be better off just buying something like an Oppo 971/981 and outputting 720p or you can get a 970HD like mine which will output 480i/576i over HDMI. And then use an HD+

There are also hacked firmwares available "out there" for the Oppos which disable HDCP, sounds ideal for you.