Can Ipad1 manage ITunes directly from a NAS?

sceptic

I use a PC is to manage ITunes and rip CDs. The music is stored on a NAS. I currently sync music from PC to Ipad with a USB connection.
Is there a way that the Ipad alone can manage ITunes and make the PC redundant?
My understanding is that it needs a PC,Mac or netbook for the Ipad to run ITunes.
Is this correct?
I’m looking for the neatest solution.
Any help much appreciated.

paul9619

Hi, yes thats correct you still need a PC/mac for iTunes and software upgrades etc.

You could set up a network share in iTunes so that you can get to your music on the NAS, alleviating the need to store music on your iPad. However, this is only useful if you do not want your music when travelling etc. The computer running iTunes also needs to be left on.

I have a synology nas drive, so I can use the DSAudio app to get access straight to my music on the nas without needing a PC/itunes. It has a decent enough GUI for a free app

Regards
Paul

sceptic

Hi, yes thats correct you still need a PC/mac for iTunes and software upgrades etc.

Regards
Paul

I thought so. It seems that the IPad isn't designed to stand alone. I'd like to find the neatest solution for combining internet, email and music. The mac mini looks nice but is a bit expensive.
I'm not sure about taking the Mac only route. The IMac and some of the all-in- one desktops look good too, especially with touch screens.

Thanks for your help

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom