1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can i ? ? ? ? ?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by jason t, Jun 10, 2001.

1. jason t

jason t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    hi can somebody please tell me if i buy a standard sound card and connect it to my dxr3 card will i get ac3&dts pass through ???

even if i use a software player such as ati player that comes with raedon/powerdvd/win dvd ????

thanks

jason :confused:

2. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,529
    mmm I don't think so. Software players like Power DVD aren't designed to work with DXR cards. You'd better off dumping the DXR card and using an nVidia or Radion based card.
    While output of the DXR cards to TV is ok, it's terrible to the computer monitor - which is where it counts.

3. Alaric

Alaric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi there,

The DVD drives good and you can use that with a software player and a sound card with an SP/DIF to get DD/DTS.

You can't use it with the creative player, or expect to connect it to the DXR3 card and get DD/DTS thier either.

Cya
    Lee

4. jason t

jason t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    hi i wanted to pass sound from my dxr3 to my amp to get dd & dts

i wanted to know if i could do this without buying a sound card using a software dvd player!!!!

jason

5. siymann

siymann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dxr3 has got a Digital (coax) out, so you don't need a soundcard to plug it into your amp to get DD5.1&DTS...

But this is off DVD's and .ac3 files only...

So if you want to output DD&DTS from a PC-DVD to your amp - thats ok (I recommend using the SigmaDesigns Hollywood+ software - much nicer @ http://www.sigmadesigns.com - as the dxr3 is the same card).

If you want to output DD&DTS from another source i.e. a Computer game - then no, you need a soundcard with DD5.1 sound support.
    ;)

[ 17-06-2001: Message edited by: siymann ]

6. siymann

siymann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't understand why you want to pass through the audio - it has a stereo line out, to connect to another soundcard (externally and internally with CD-Audio cables) - but why to pass DD&DTS from the Dxr3 to another soundcard ??

sorry if there's a good reason, im just a tad sleepy at the mo.. ;)