Can I watch unfinished DVDs on other DVD recorders?

E

Erika Trueman

Hi, I have just joined this forum. Was glad to find it, as necessity made me search for someone who can advise me.

I recently bought a Daewoo DF4100P and it played fine for 2 weeks, then the DVD got stuck and I could not get it open/out anymore. I took it back and got another one that was faulty from the word 'go'. The third machine did not even install and the fourth I got today would not play any DVDs at all.

To say I am ****** off is to put it mildly. I had read the various reviews on this DVD recorder/VHS combi and felt satisfied.

My problem now is that I recorded a lot of videos onto DVD during the first two weeks. However, I did not finalize them as I had never recorded DVDs before and frankly, didn't know it was necessary.

Now, I would like to buy a different DVD recorder/VHS combi, but worry whether I can play the unfinalized DVDs on, say, a Samsung or Fuji player. The guy in the shop today told me that, as long as it is DVD+R it will play, but I did not have the feeling he was certain about it. I have given away those old videos, and would hate to lose those recordings.

Does anyone know the answer to my problem? Should I get yet another Daewoo DF4100P or should I go for a different combi? If so, which one is better (within the similar price range)?

Many thanks for replies

Erika

pwood

unfanalised your discs are unlikely to be playable on other machines. That said I would give up an get a more reliable machine such as a PANASONIC dvd recorder. Geting another one of those unreliable machines seems pointless. You are missing out on PQ as well.

E

Erika Trueman

Thanks for the quick reply... I do get your point.

What is PQ? You said I'm missing out on it. I am quite new to DVD recordings. Had a video and a DVD player. The video is now faulty and getting a combi to transfer my old videos seemed a good idea. Especially as some of them are from German TV and so I'm unlikely to ever get a repeat here.

You mentioned Panasonic. Any particular one?

Erika

Gavtech

Administrator
Erika Trueman said:
The third machine did not even install and the fourth I got today would not play any DVDs at all.

To say I am ****** off is to put it mildly. I had read the various reviews on this DVD recorder/VHS combi and felt satisfied.

My problem now is that I recorded a lot of videos onto DVD during the first two weeks. However, I did not finalize them as I had never recorded DVDs before and frankly, didn't know it was necessary.
Hi Erika

You say you got your fourth machine today.

It sounds as though you are perhaps trying to use DVD's that are not that compatible with your machine. A different disk type is worth trying.

Do you have any pre-recorded disks that you can try in the machine? They are much more resilient. If it will not play them then you have a machine problem. If it will, it is more confirmation of a recordable disk incompatibility.

That wont help with the disks you have recorded already of course.
ASFAIK it is the same model that is required to finalise the disks, not the actual machine. So if before you change your route and go for another make it might still be worth trying to get one to work.

Is it that the disks will not initialise that prevents you playing them? What message do you get when you insert them?

Make sure your disks are spotlessly clean.

Repeated attempts [ open close drawer] can sometimes get a difficult disk to initialise, and if it would, you could finalise.

Good luck

Gavin

E

Erika Trueman

Hi Gavin,

I picked up yet another of those Daewoo DF4100P DVD recorder/VHS combis today. This time I asked the man in the shop to try it out first and it worked.

The first one worked for 2 weeks and then the DVD door would not open (and release the DVD). The second machine had an intermittent fault, it worked on and off for a few days (i.e. sometimes the DVD drawer would open and sometimes it would not). The third could not even be installed, and the fourth did not read the DVDs. And yes, I tried my own and pre-recorded (shop bought) DVDs. I also made sure that I played only DVD+R, as mentioned in the booklet.

I was told today that it is likely to have been a faulty batch of recorders. They checked out those I took back and found fault with them all. (There had been a niggling fear that I had messed up the connection somehow, and great relief was felt when it turned out that I had not....)

The Recorder tried out in the shop today is playing fine now. I have spent the last few hours finalizing my DVDs and transferred one video onto DVD. So far, no problems at all.

I just hope it stays like this. If not, then at least I have finalized my DVDs and will ask for my money back and get a different make.

Thanks for your advice, Gavin.

ERika

knotpc

Novice Member
pwood said:
unfanalised your discs are unlikely to be playable on other machines. That said I would give up an get a more reliable machine such as a PANASONIC dvd recorder. Geting another one of those unreliable machines seems pointless. You are missing out on PQ as well.
Just to add, I found that RAM disks recorded on my Panasonic E30 were recognised by my Toshiba RDSX32 and vice versa. Haven't tried on my Pioneer 440HXS as it only takes RAM disks without a casing, all mine have casings and not prepared to break one open.

Regards
knotpc

Gavtech

Administrator
knotpc said:
Just to add, I found that RAM disks recorded on my Panasonic E30 were recognised by my Toshiba RDSX32 and vice versa. Haven't tried on my Pioneer 440HXS as it only takes RAM disks without a casing, all mine have casings and not prepared to break one open.

Regards
knotpc
Hi Knotpc

RAM disks do not require finalising , which would account for that.

G.

Gavtech

Administrator
Erika Trueman said:
I just hope it stays like this. If not, then at least I have finalized my DVDs and will ask for my money back and get a different make.

Hi Erika

I'm glad you've had a breakthrough. No-one deserves that amount of bad luck!

I hope it stays working too.

Gavin

E

Erika Trueman

Many thanks to all of you... I have just taken back my fifth Daewoo DVD recorder/VHS combi. This one lasted two days. But at least I finished my DVDs before it broke.

So now I got my money back and will read reviews before buying another one.

Regards

Erika

mentsugi

DVD-RW disks in VR mode recorded on my Sony DVDR do not need finalising for me to watch them on my laptop DVD-RW drive. Only DVD-RW in video mode need finalising. So in this way is very simlar to DVD-RAM

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom