Can I wake up my PC via Wi-Fi?

motionman

I've been successful in installing AnyDesk so that I can see my PC from my laptop. This is fine provided my PC is awake. Once it's gone to sleep that's it. No wake-up.

This link was given me in an earlier post:

I've had a look at it but it clearly says that the system must be connected by ethernet so I've not tried to set up the series of actions set out in the link. Can I send the 'magic packet' from my laptop to my PC although my laptop links to my router via W-Fi?

....this may be a short thread!

Any ideas or advice would be great.

next010

Distinguished Member
Networking & NAS

This part of the forum may be able to answer better, from what I know...

There is a wake over wireless lan but its not too common, if you have Intel wireless hardware on both ends and use Intel's WiFi software then you might be able to to use it (not sure at all on that), might be limited to Intel laptops only.

What you can do is so long as the target device is connected to ethernet a wireless device can wake it up, so get homeplugs (ethernet over powerline) for the PC, this gives it a wired connection to the router, then you should be able to use your WiFI PC or smartphone (WOL apps) to boot the PC.

motionman

Networking & NAS

This part of the forum may be able to answer better, from what I know...

There is a wake over wireless lan but its not too common, if you have Intel wireless hardware on both ends and use Intel's WiFi software then you might be able to to use it (not sure at all on that), might be limited to Intel laptops only.

What you can do is so long as the target device is connected to ethernet a wireless device can wake it up, so get homeplugs (ethernet over powerline) for the PC, this gives it a wired connection to the router, then you should be able to use your WiFI PC or smartphone (WOL apps) to boot the PC.

Thanks for the reply. Very interesting. I found this on the web which seems to give a good explanation.

digitaltrends.com/computing/everything-you-need-to-know-about-powerline-networking/

motionman

Thanks for the reply. Guessed that I might be heading that way!

Has anyone any thoughts on the internet over powerline idea or any other suggestions?

next010

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the reply. Guessed that I might be heading that way!

Has anyone any thoughts on the internet over powerline idea or any other suggestions?

1) Hire someone to run the ethernet cable from PC to router.
2) Maybe MOCA will work which is similar to powerline but sends ethernet over TV cable coax if your house had that installed in each room.

MOCA is not common outside of USA, you can see example of it here.

The powerline adapters are easiest path to take I think.

motionman

Thanks for the reply and ideas. I don't have a coax wiring system in the house so it's not an option, unfortunately. Powerline seems to be the best avenue to investigate so I'm checking it out now.

jimscreechy

Yeah just be aware that WOL can have issues of it's own even on wired networks. Some switches (particularly the cheaper unmanaged ones) don't pass the magic packets (don't ask me why) or won't send them after the MAC address timeout has been exceeded even though they are broadcast packets. There is plenty of information on this (and the problems that can be encountered) if you google it, but it isn't always as plain sailing as you think.

motionman

Thanks for the posts. I like the idea of a button pusher!! It may come to that!

I'm still rummaging through Powerline options and I was looking at the budget end of the market, I must admit. At £30 I could get a Tenda PH3 AV1,000. I just wanted to see if Powerline worked before spending too much. The concept seems quite good and a pricer system would solve a lot of poor Wi-Fi issues in our house, which has thick stone walls. Some Powerline adapters give Ethernet and Wi-Fi connectivity.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom