Can I view HDR10+ content on HDR10 tv's?

yuriythebest

Standard Member
Reaction score
To clarify my question, I get that I won't get the added benefit of the "+" on a tv that doesn't support it, BUT, if for example:

HDR10:
[__HDR10 brightness depth_]

HDR10+:
[__HDR10 brightness depth_] + [__additional HDR10+ brightness depth_]

Will my TV ( looking at buying an LG CX) be at least be able to display the "normal" HDR, or will it not be able to recognize it entirely?

Welcome to the forum :)

Yes the CX will display HDR10 correctly plus Dolby Vision plus Hybrid log gamma.
Don't worry about plus, hardly anything uses it (it's a Samsung thing)

Yes the CX will display HDR10 correctly plus Dolby Vision plus Hybrid log gamma.
Thanks for your reply Stranger! Unfortunately that is not exactly the question I asked. To clarify, If I have a movie file that says it's for HDR10+, will the LG CX be able use and display the HDR10 information from it?

(sorry for being pedantic, this bit is quite important for me to make sure I make the right chocice)

Sorry I can't answer that (someone else should) it looks like only part of your query is visible, on my Mac hence the misunderstanding.

If you want HDR10+ and OLED, look at Panasonic range.

IMHO. The LG will ignore HDR10+ data as it can't process it and display the HDR10 version instead.

Hdr10 is the base you always should get whatever the tv….as long as the source has it. Dolby vision and hdr10+ are improved dynamic metadata versions of the static hdr10…
That’s where which tv you have come into play…abd of course the source type.
In short, I will not worry at ALL about this.
You will always get hdr10 if it is there (even if hdr10+ or DV is mentioned but tv can’t handle).

I will be very surprised if I am wrong. If I buy a movie with Dolby or hdr10+ and my tv can’t handle one of them…I should as a minimum get hdr10

Last edited:
The LG will ignore HDR10+ data as it can't process it and display the HDR10 version instead.
Do you mean the version from a streaming service offers or the internal "version of HDR" of a video file?

Confirmed here. I needed to be sure too :)
I read the article, and actually became more concerned

your media streamer only lists HDR10 and HLG in its specifications, it likely does not support Dolby Vision or HDR10+.

Unlike some kinds of audio and video formats, HDR formats cannot be “transcoded.” So, your HDR10-only TV won’t be able to convert a Dolby Vision movie into HDR10 so that you can see it in HDR.

HDR10 is by far the most common of the five HDR formats. In fact, HDR10 is so common that it’s become synonymous with HDR overall. If you buy a TV or playback device today that claims to support HDR, it will — at a minimum — support HDR10. The same is usually true of streaming services that offer HDR. Even the ones that promote other HDR formats, like Dolby Vision or HDR10+, will also offer HDR10.

Judging from this article, says that HDR formats cannot be transcoded, but is vague if HDR10 and HDR10+ are compatible, but does mention that streaming services provide the HDR in various formats including HDR10+ and HDR10. Knowing how optimized streaming services are, if HDR10 and 10+ were compatible it would offer just 2 formats, dolbly vision and HDR10+, leaving the TV to parse out the HDR10.

This is all theoretical though, all that's needed is a CX/C9/c8 tell what the situation is really like

Man, keep it simple. You always get hdr10 as a minimum. Anything else on top is a bonus.

HDR10 is by far the most common of the five HDR formats. In fact, HDR10 is so common that it’s become synonymous with HDR overall. If you buy a TV or playback device today that claims to support HDR, it will — at a minimum — support HDR10. The same is usually true of streaming services that offer HDR. Even the ones that promote other HDR formats, like Dolby Vision or HDR10+, will also offer HDR10.

Man, keep it simple. You always get hdr10 as a minimum. Anything else on top is a bonus.

Thanks Goldorak! Yup, You are 100% right. After some more digging I found additional confirmation on other 'venues' from people asking the same question

Yes, just like with DV on an HDR10 only TV, if you play a disc that has HDR10+ and have a TV that doesn’t support it, you’ll get the HDR10 base layer.

All HDR10+ content includes a HDR10 static metadata layer( just like dolby vision) so if you were to play HDR10+ on a TV that does not support that HDR format, then it will just play the normal HDR10 static metadata layer.

- copying it to here as well for posterity so that future people searching this ( hello future people!) will have an easier time

Thanks Goldorak! Yup, You are 100% right. After some more digging I found additional confirmation on other 'venues' from people asking the same question

- copying it to here as well for posterity so that future people searching this ( hello future people!) will have an easier time
Hi, future people here!
Thank your for being clear. It is amazing how people can keep going on an on about this without actually answering the question.

My TCL 4 from 2019 isn't supposed to be able to show HDR10+ but Paramount & Amazon Prime that support HDR10+ will trigger the icon when I start saying it's HDR10+.

However, movies on Google Play that are HDR10+ possible are not picking up HDR 10+and only show me HDR.

I'm thinking of plugging in my CCwGTV to this lesser TCL 4 and see if the HDR10+ activates still.

Amazon Prime Video uses HDR10+. But that's about it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom