1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can i use tv abroad?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by othello, May 9, 2004.

1. othello

othello
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i`m just after some info.. could i take my panasonic pb tv to australia? would it work ? i know it would possably cost alot,but would it work if i was to take it? cheers

2. Paul Atreides

Paul Atreides

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The video would work but I'm not sure about the audio, maybe it says in the manual.

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,078
    The one and only potential issue (potential, because some TVs are multi-national) is receiving, via the internal tuner, broadcast TV signals.

Broadcast TV uses two frwquencies - one for picture, one for sound. In any given territory, the difference between the two is fixed. And the difference is different in different territories.

So, you may well find that the tuner tunes the picture, but is "looking" for the sound in the wrong place - hence no sound.

However, this affects the tuner only. Anything connected via the AV inputs (such as a set top box, DVD, VCR etc) will work just fine.

The same would be true (probably) of a UK-spec VCR. And the same would be true of a local VCR if connected to the TV using the RF (aerial) cable.

You should note also, that SCART connectors are peculiar to Europe. So if your TV requires SCART plugs for its AV inputs, you may want to take a supply of adaptors and/or cables with you; they may be hard to obtain in Aus.

4. othello

othello
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers for replies.. some tv`s over in aus toshiba+panasonic.. do have scart sockets on them..as well as all the others available..the only reason i`m looking at this is cos i`ve got xbox ps2, dvd to connect up.. the price of shipping might make it unfeesable.. for a descent set i`d be looking @ $3000. plus. still something to think about.. cheers again :thumbsup:

5. Paul Atreides

Paul Atreides

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I was talking about receiving television, not direct AV input.