1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can i use this RAM for my Dell Dimension???

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by KO.NET, Jul 19, 2003.

1. KO.NET

KO.NET

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok basically i have a dell dimension 8100 (bought in summer 2001 in UK) and i want to get extra RAM for it. I checked out the dell website and they say for 8100 i should use Kingston KTD-DM800/512 512MB Kit . Now not only do i not need this much extra ram, its also really expensive, but on the dell website and the Kingston website this was the smallest amount offered for the 8100 series. So i looked around to see if i can maybe find 256mb ram which can also work on my dell, and i think i might have found some, but im not sure. Here are the specifications of the dell website recommended ram :

Kingston (KTD-DM800/512) 512MB Kit

Product Description Memory - 256 MB x 2 - RIMM 184-PIN - RDRAM
    Storage Capacity 256 MB x 2
    Technology RDRAM (RAMBUS)
    Form Factor RIMM 184-PIN
    Bus Clock Rate 800 MHz

and now here are the specs for the ram which i am thinking of buying instead :

Kingston (KVR800X16/256) 256MB RIMM PC800 RDRAM Non-Parity

Product Description Memory - 256 MB x 1 - RIMM 184-PIN - RDRAM
    Storage Capacity 256 MB x 1
    Upgrade Type Industry standard
    Technology RDRAM (RAMBUS)
    Form Factor RIMM 184-PIN
    Bus Clock Rate 800 MHz
    Data Integrity Check Non-parity

these specs seem similar but i dont really know a lot about ram so was just wondering if the 256 one would work on my system ? any help would be appreciated, thanx .

2. Bursar

Bursar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    The problem with RDRAM is that it needs to be installed in pairs.

The first thing I suggest you do is pop the lid off your machine and see how your current RAM is configured.

If you have 512MB at the mo, there are two ways it could be installed. The first is that you have 2 x 256MB modules. The second is that you have 1 x 512MB modules and a blanking module.

If you have 2x256, then you will need to buy another pair of RDRAM modules.

If your borad has 4 slots, then 2x256MB modules will do as an upgrade. If you only have 2 slots, then you will need to buy 2 x 512MB modules to replace the existing ones.

If you have 1x512MB and a blanking module installed, then you can pop out the blanking module and put in a single 512MB stick to replace it.

Unfortunately RDRAM is expensive, and the fact you have to upgrade in pairs only adds to the cost :(

3. KO.NET

KO.NET

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok well i opened up my comp and took a look inside. basically there are 4 slots. 2 of them had 256 RAM in them (total 512mb RAM) and the other 2 slots had these "cheater" card things . On the issue of whether the ram i have is PC600 or PC800, i really wasnt sure so i took a picture of it with my digital camera to see if any of u guys can understand what this is. Here is the link incase the pic doesnt work : http://y2ho.allowednet.com/My Ram.jpg

[​IMG]

i thought the "800-45" written on it might mean PC800 but i wasnt sure.

So basically i have 2 of these at the moment, 2 spare slots and want an extra 256MB of RAM. So what RAM do i look for???

extra info: this is a Pentium 4 1.8GHz WinXP system, thanx

4. Bursar

Bursar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    You will need to replace both of those dummy sticks with RDRAM modules, and yes, they're PC800.

If you want an extra 256MB of RAM, you'll need to buy 2x128MB modules.

5. KO.NET

KO.NET

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So i guess i look for PC800 Rambus RIMM (RDRAM) - 184 pin RAM , right? anyone know any good websites for buying RAM?

6. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    www.crucial.com/uk They have a compatability guarantee as well if you use their configurator ;)

7. Bursar

Bursar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    That's true, but Crucial don't make (or sell) RDRAM as it's too pricey.

8. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    D'Oh! :clown: Should have remembered that ! :blush:

9. nutcase_1uk

nutcase_1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The 800-45 means 800Mhz, 45 nanosecond timing. The current speeds available are 40ns and 32ns. I'm not sure if 40ns will work in PC's which have 45ns sticks in. I am fairly sure they do. It's when yo try and use 45ns sticks in a 40ns motherboard that the problem arrives.

I usually get this RAM.

10. KO.NET

KO.NET

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmm, so we're not sure if new 40ns ram will work on my system which has 45ns ram at the moment?? does anybody know?? or know how or where i could possibly find out???

also another thing : well i've found places which sell Samsung 16bit PC800 Rambus RIMM RDRAM (184 pins) , but i'm faced with another issue now : ECC or Non - ECC ??? What does ECC mean anyway?? i've never know. And are both types compatible with my system?? if not which one should i go with???

heres the link where i found the ram : http://www.pc-memory-upgrade.co.uk/memory/rambus-rdram-16.asp

11. Bursar

Bursar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    ECC RAM is basically used in servers. For a home PC it's overkill. The RAM is slightly slower and a fair bit more expensive than non-ECC RAM.

ECC deals with checking for and correcting any errors that occur in data whilst it's being held in RAM.

Just ignore all the ECC varients of RAM and you won't go far wrong.

12. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    40ms will be fine, as nutcase has said, there may be problems if you add slower RAM to the system, addid faster RAM shouldn't be a problem. Here the 40ns RAM would run at the speed of the slowest stick: 45ms.