Can I use this Digibox???

craigfin

Novice Member
I found my old Amstrad DRX400 digibox upstairs where its been hidden for a few years after having Sky + fitted.

Can I use this box at all to get Freeview in my bedroom?

I don't want to link with my existing system at all as the dish is on the other end of the house and I don't want to run miles of cable and drill more holes. I just want a stand-alone Freeview system without a multiroom subscription.

Can it be done? Will the box recieve a digital signal through the RF input or does it have to be Dish input connection only?

Will I need a indoor digital aerial as I have an indoor TV aerial which I think is standard? I ask this question as I can get digital Freeview through this aerial into my Archos AV700TV so it must be capable of receiving digital signals.

Will I need a card at all for either of the slots?

I apologise if the questions are a bit noddy but I am fine with Sky + but know very little about Freeview / FTA systems.

Any help appreciated.

Craig.

Chris Muriel

Distinguished Member
You cannot use a satellite receiver (like your DRX400) with a terrestrial aerial ; it has to be connected to a dish and LNBF ; the LNBF is powered by 14/18 volts that the satellite receiver provides at its LNB socket.
Freeview uses DVB-T transmissions in the 460-850 MHz band with COFDM modulation.
Sky satellite uses DVB-S transmissions with QPSK modulation in the 10- 12 GHz region.
So the 2 are totally incompatible.

Chris Muriel, Manchester

hornydragon

to us ethe box it needs connecing to a dish either a new one or existing and without a card you will get most channels with a £20 fTV card you wll get all the channels you can without a sub (not the same channels as Freeview tho broadly similar but not the same)

Graham_E

Novice Member
Is that a "no" then?
=)

You cannot use a satellite receiver (like your DRX400) with a terrestrial aerial ; it has to be connected to a dish and LNBF ; the LNBF is powered by 14/18 volts that the satellite receiver provides at its LNB socket.
Freeview uses DVB-T transmissions in the 460-850 MHz band with COFDM modulation.
Sky satellite uses DVB-S transmissions with QPSK modulation in the 10- 12 GHz region.
So the 2 are totally incompatible.

Chris Muriel, Manchester

Chris Muriel

Distinguished Member
Incompatible = no.
but some people like it when I talk dirty :D

Can't help it as I spend much of time answering technical or applications questions from designers using our ICs ( but I get well paid for being an anorak).

Chris Muriel, Manchester