Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Can I use the Phones out to connect external powered speakers from portable DVD ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Jazzartist, Jun 24, 2003.

1. Jazzartist

Jazzartist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I recently bought Panasonic Portable DVD player model LV - 50 . Its excellent player with lots of good feature . I want to connect powered speker with this DVD player . There is only phones out line for headphones and no line out for external speakers . I was wondering if its ok to use the phones out line to connet to external speakers . I actually tried it and it works with the speakers ( Cambridge Audio PC works powered speakers) . Is it ok to connect this way ? Shall be greatfull for any reply . Regards.

2. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Yes... You can connect your speakers up this way and it won't cause any problems :)

The only thing you may need to keep an eye on is the headphone volume level - when using active speakers you need to bear in mind that what ever signal is sent will be amplified. If the line level is set too high all you'll get is a load of distortion, or at worst, a blown set of speakers! :) Typically the headphone out signal is not designed to be amplified.

Hope this helps...

K.

3. Jazzartist

Jazzartist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Kelvin. This helps a lot . Now I can connect them without worrying . You know the 5.1 channel powered made by Cambridgeis very cheap in Dhaka and it can be used for multi purpose . Can you suggest me some powered and portable speakers that can be operated by Electricity and battery ( any kind rechargeable , alkline, Car adaptor etc. ) This combination of Portable DVD and Powered speakers will be great for outdoors What do you think ? Thanks again

4. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Are the speakers you initially referred to 5.1? My apologies, I thought we were only talking about portable stereo speakers :blush:

If you connect up 5.1 speakers, you need to bear in mind that you won't get a true 5.1 soundtrack by simply using the headphone output. DD & DTS soundtracks can only be outputted by a digital output - i.e Optical, Digital Coaxial, or SPDIF. It is possible that you will benefit from Pro Logic, or PLII sound, but that will be entirely dependant on the speakers used - they will need to contain a suitable decoder. I'm not familiar with the speakers you refer to so maybe you could post a feature list and I'll try to advise you a little bit better.

K.