Can I use the DAC from a SACD player with a DVD-A transport

Krautrocker

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have a DCS P8i and need to know if I can use this with a DVD-A transport. I'm thinking about making an offer for a Meridian 598. The Meridian has a digital out so I thought I could connect this to my DCS.

I know though that the data is coded differently so have no idea whether there'd be a compatibility issue.

Can anyone help with this?

Thanks.

The digital inputs on the DCS P8i support PCM with a sample rate of 32 kHz, 44.1 kHz (CD) or 48kHz (basic DVD) and 16, 20 or 24 bits . Stereo DVD-A supports 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, 88.2 kHz, 96 kHz, 176.4 kHz and 192 kHz with 16, 20 or 24 bits.

The Meridian 598 allows setting the output type to PCM 48kHz (type 0, manual page 62). However, I really don't see the point on the combination, unless it's to demonstrate how you can achieve poor performance despite spending decent money on expensive equipment.

There's really no such thing as a DVD-A transport, with the possible exception (that I know of) of Meridian's quipement which uses encrypted MHL protocol for its digital theatre systems/DSP loudspeakers. The raw bitstream has to remain protected to stop illegal copying. So no player/transport is going to give you access to the original data (at least above 48kHz, it seems). It's the same I believe with SACD too.

DVD-V (DAD 24/96Khz stereo LPCM) was a disc format that could be sent from DVD-V players like the Pioneer 717 I fondly recall a 24/96 LPCM signal going into my MF X24K DAC it was rather nice .... just for clarity Doom old chap. You are correct of course that DVD-A was hobbled to 48Khz output.

Doomlord_uk said:
There's really no such thing as a DVD-A transport, with the possible exception (that I know of) of Meridian's quipement which uses encrypted MHL protocol for its digital theatre systems/DSP loudspeakers. The raw bitstream has to remain protected to stop illegal copying. So no player/transport is going to give you access to the original data (at least above 48kHz, it seems). It's the same I believe with SACD too.

Correct for DVD-A, wrong for sacd. DCS transport will output sacd data stream down FireWire connection to appropriate DAC

Is the SACD stream encrypted?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom