Can i use the 2 spare channels on my dsp a1 for anything?

Neil J B

Standard Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to use them for anything except 7.1? (would be nice if i could bridge them with the main channels)

EDIT: my front speakers are mission m74's which are bi-wireable if that makes any difference

Good to see another DSP-A1 user out there ,but you need to explain more on your queery

Bridging is the preserve of audiophile power amps with huge power supplies; not integrated AV amps, no matter how expensive.

However, the obvious thing to do, which many have done with success, is to bi-amp your front speakers, so you have a separate channel for each drive unit.

Nick

Sorry I wasnt very clear, I have 5.1 speakers conected to my amp and I was wondering if I could use the spare front effect channels for anything as they are just sitting there with 110w rms each going to waste. I know it may sound a bit silly but I wanted to know if I could use all that wasted power somehow. :D

If the A1 has the setup options of the newer yamahas then you can:
1. bi-amp your front 2 main speakers
2. Use the spare amps to drive speakers in another zone. The second zone will access inputs independently of the main zone and volume etc can also be controlled independently.

The A1 does not allow to use the two additional channels for anything else but the front effects that are generated by some of the DSP modes; there are no setup or wiring options for other use.
If I am not mistaken the output power of those channels is actually way less than the others (only 35W each or so).

(I still love my A1 and will never, ever give it away. :) )

Reiner said:
The A1 does not allow to use the two additional channels for anything else but the front effects that are generated by some of the DSP modes; there are no setup or wiring options for other use.
If I am not mistaken the output power of those channels is actually way less than the others (only 35W each or so).

(I still love my A1 and will never, ever give it away. :) )

A quick look in my manual confirms that they are 35w, thanks for the advice guys.

A bit late I know, but just seen this and thought I'd add my bit.

I ran an external power amp for the main front channels off the pre-outputs for those channels, so I had the main amps being unused and they had straightforward input sockets (RCA) available, as the bridging jumpers had been removed to connect the external power amp. But what to use these amps for?

I wanted to connect the rear surround output to these so that I could run 4 rear surround speakers, albeit with both Ls and both Rs playing the same signal, but amplified separately. Trouble is that once you plug an RCA jack into the rear channel output sockets, the internal amp is automatically disabled. BUT, it seems to be a physical switch and if you only gently push them in - not all the way, you can make good contact, without disabling the internal amp.

So, I ran a short interconnect (no earth connection, just grounded at one end) into each main front amp input jack, from the corresponding rear surround output jack - only gently pushed in till it made contact, but leaving the internal amp also processing the same signal. Worked fine for some time until I replaced the amp.

Or, previously I similarly wired the stereo subwoofer outputs into the spare main front inputs and ran passive subs. The mono sub output was also utilised into a powered sub. This was easier as there was no need for such careful insertion of the jacks as in this case there's no chance of disabling any internal amp.

Just some ideas.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom