Can I use sony 40ex503 Internet function without buying a sony dongle?

langya168

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,I am going to buy sony 40ex503 in this month, but I did not get in touch this before, I am very interested in its internet function as I am using my laptop all the time. I want to connect my laptop to tv as I am a movie monster,and I alreay have a 2 meters hdmi cable. But after I research, seems like 40ex503 could plays computer movie through internet. now I alreay have a o2 wireless router, could 40EX503 connect and play movie through router, or I must buy a new sony UWABR100 dongle for it? and the dongle sale as 60 pounds that is too expensive for me, is it necessary to get one when I buy the new sony tv? Every suggestion will be welcomed. :lease:Thanks a lot.

If you want the TV to access the internet/your router wirelessly then you need the dongle. I'm not sure if it's possible to use a 3rd party dongle.

The TV will also have an ethernet port, so you can always use a wired connection to your router instead. If the router isn't anywhere near the TV (making a wired connection impractical), then you'll probably be better off sticking with the laptop for accessing the internet and having that connected to the TV. I imagine anything you can access through the TV via the internet will be available through your laptop anyway.

If you want the TV to access the internet/your router wirelessly then you need the dongle. I'm not sure if it's possible to use a 3rd party dongle.

The TV will also have an ethernet port, so you can always use a wired connection to your router instead. If the router isn't anywhere near the TV (making a wired connection impractical), then you'll probably be better off sticking with the laptop for accessing the internet and having that connected to the TV. I imagine anything you can access through the TV via the internet will be available through your laptop anyway.

could you tell me what you have using for connection now?

No 3rd party usb dongles are compatible so your options are;

1, Ethernet cable from router (cheap)
2, Homeplug (get 200mpbs)
3, Buy the very expensive Sony WiFi adapter but be aware over wifi you might not have enough bandwidth to play smoothly if your router is only G and not full 300mpbs N.
4, Stick your to your HDMI connection.

Sony Wifi thread
http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-led-lcd-tvs/1227585-sony-32-ex500-usb-wifi-adapter.html

are you using homeplug? is it better than sony dongle?

I run an ethernet cable, its very cheap, its fast and uber reliable :)

I don't use any of the network features on my TV. I have a pair of homeplugs connected up, but that's for my xbox 360. They work fine with that.

I use homeplugs on my 46ex503. Work fine.

Used to stream over wifi to separate box, but even music was unreliable. Now I get no cut outs.

I use homeplugs on my 46ex503. Work fine.

Used to stream over wifi to separate box, but even music was unreliable. Now I get no cut outs.

please tell me where did you get your homeplugs from then i will get one!

No 3rd party usb dongles are compatible so your options are;

1, Ethernet cable from router (cheap)
2, Homeplug (get 200mpbs)
3, Buy the very expensive Sony WiFi adapter but be aware over wifi you might not have enough bandwidth to play smoothly if your router is only G and not full 300mpbs N.
4, Stick your to your HDMI connection.

Sony Wifi thread
http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-led-lcd-tvs/1227585-sony-32-ex500-usb-wifi-adapter.html

my o2 wireless box router and tv will be also in a smale area where might be in living room , do I still need sony dongle? thanks.

my o2 wireless box router and tv will be also in a smale area where might be in living room , do I still need sony dongle? thanks.

If your O2 router is near the tv, buy a ethernet cable and run it between the two. Its cheaper, faster, more reliable etc...

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I go these from Amazon:
D-Link DHP-307AV/B 200 MBPS PowerLine Homeplug AV Network Starter Kit: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

They come with necessary cables. Just plug one into the TV and one into one of the wired ports on your router.
Note: these are roughly the same price as the dongle - you might have to search around to get cheaper if that is too much.

now i understand that either sony dongle or d-link above is just a tool to enlarge the wifi signal for oher receivers, it does not have any tv relevant function at all, so why do i still need a strengther?:lease: the tv can receive the single from wireless router... stranger.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
now i understand that either sony dongle or d-link above is just a tool to enlarge the wifi signal for oher receivers, it does not have any tv relevant function at all, so why do i still need a strengther?:lease: the tv can receive the single from wireless router... stranger.

Hi,

I'm a little confused by the question. Let me revisit the original suggestions in more detail to see if that helps:

"1, Ethernet cable from router (cheap)"

Most WIFI routers also have around 4 ethernet ports in them (i.e. for a wired connection). The TV (presuming it is the same as the 46 inch model connection wise) also has an ethernet port in the back. You run the cable from the router to the TV. No WIFI involved between router and TV.

This option is good if the router is near TV and/or there is an easy way to discretely run the ethernet cable between the two without having a big wire visible and in the way.

"2, Homeplug (get 200mpbs)"

This is also a wired connection - not WIFI. You plug a homeplug into a mains socket near the router and a second one near the TV. Each plug has an ethernet cable sticking out the back, you plug each into your router and TV respectively. This effectively simulates a long ethernet cable but as mentioned by others is not as cheap or reliable, but arguably more reliable than WIFI might be. This is what I use and it is fine for me.

"3, Buy the very expensive Sony WiFi adapter but be aware over wifi you might not have enough bandwidth to play smoothly if your router is only G and not full 300mpbs N."

This is the option to use the WIFI signal from your router instead. No wires at all between router and TV. Same price as homeplugs (ish) but arguably not as reliable. The TV in question will not pick up a WIFI signal without this extra dongle.

"4, Stick your to your HDMI connection."

If you can just put the laptop next to the TV when you want to use it, leave a HDMI cable hanging out the TV off to the side for use when needed. I still use this method occasionally for HD content etc. Once running it is fine but not as slick as streaming in terms of messing around with resolutions/audio output settings are sometimes required I find. And streaming is nicer as can all run off TV remote.

Hi,

I'm a little confused by the question. Let me revisit the original suggestions in more detail to see if that helps:

"1, Ethernet cable from router (cheap)"

Most WIFI routers also have around 4 ethernet ports in them (i.e. for a wired connection). The TV (presuming it is the same as the 46 inch model connection wise) also has an ethernet port in the back. You run the cable from the router to the TV. No WIFI involved between router and TV.

This option is good if the router is near TV and/or there is an easy way to discretely run the ethernet cable between the two without having a big wire visible and in the way.

"2, Homeplug (get 200mpbs)"

This is also a wired connection - not WIFI. You plug a homeplug into a mains socket near the router and a second one near the TV. Each plug has an ethernet cable sticking out the back, you plug each into your router and TV respectively. This effectively simulates a long ethernet cable but as mentioned by others is not as cheap or reliable, but arguably more reliable than WIFI might be. This is what I use and it is fine for me.

"3, Buy the very expensive Sony WiFi adapter but be aware over wifi you might not have enough bandwidth to play smoothly if your router is only G and not full 300mpbs N."

This is the option to use the WIFI signal from your router instead. No wires at all between router and TV. Same price as homeplugs (ish) but arguably not as reliable. The TV in question will not pick up a WIFI signal without this extra dongle.

"4, Stick your to your HDMI connection."

If you can just put the laptop next to the TV when you want to use it, leave a HDMI cable hanging out the TV off to the side for use when needed. I still use this method occasionally for HD content etc. Once running it is fine but not as slick as streaming in terms of messing around with resolutions/audio output settings are sometimes required I find. And streaming is nicer as can all run off TV remote.

Really appreciated. Now I totally understanded.Thanks a lots.

wondering current internet function of TV, is 40ex503 internet function the most useful one?

is it useful ? yes, I use iPlayer. Youtube etc is neat but not very useful imo.

because other brand has other internet function instead of wifi ready!)

Which other "internet function" do you mean? WIFI ready just means that the TV can be connected to the internet via your router (albeit with an extra dongle in this case, or with wired connection instead as stated).

The Sony has a number of built in free and subscription based services once you are connected to the internet (e.g. iPlayer/youtube = free, LoveFilm = paid), not sure how this line up compares with other models but I would imagine they are all periodically updated to keep up with each other.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom