Can I use Sky+?

ecurran1969

Standard Member
Hi

I have standard Sky, one LNB on dish.

The Sky box I have is a Grundig, about 4 years old and doesn't have recording facility.

Can I fit a recordable Sky box ( ones with the 80 gig storage ) even though I haven't got Sky + subscription ? If I can I realise I can only record & watch the same channel.

Thank you

ecurran1969

ronaldhardie

Novice Member
Hi ecurran

Sorry but if u dont have a sky+ subscribtion then their boxes will not recored

you should know by now that Mr R.Murdoch has every base covered TTAW (u re-arrange the letters)

Miss Chief

As long as you have an active Sky Subscription and you buy a sky+ box your account with sky can be updated and the sky+ sub added free of charge. if you don't have an active sky Sub the sky+ facility is £10.

tomd84

Novice Member
As the above post said, you can buy a sky+ box, but you will need an extra LNB Feed for sky+ and the sub

Or if you dont want to pay the Sub, Freesat is now a good option if you want to go for a PVR option with it

DamianP

Standard Member
A few people on the grabbit board on MSE have been phoning sky and cancelling their subscription and being offered Sky+ for free. It's worth a shot, as even if they call your bluff, you've got 30 days to cancel the cancellation!!

Broadz

Some strange, misleading responses on this thread.

Hi ecurran
Sorry but if u dont have a sky+ subscribtion then their boxes will not recored
you should know by now that Mr R.Murdoch has every base covered TTAW (u re-arrange the letters)
Of course a box won't record without a Sky+ subscription - it is Sky+ functionality that allows a box to record, to pause live TV, to set up series link etc. But to then call Rupert Murdoch what you did seems very odd - as everybody knows, Sky+ is free if you have a Sky subscription, all you need to do is phone Sky and activate it. So to throw insults around willy-nilly like this just seems to be ****-stirring for the sake of it.

To the OP - yes, if you buy a Sky+ box (from Sky or elsewhere) and phone Sky to pair the card with the box, at the same time as doing the pairing they will activate Sky+ (without charging you for the privilege).

As the above post said, you can buy a sky+ box, but you will need an extra LNB Feed for sky+ and the sub
Or if you dont want to pay the Sub, Freesat is now a good option if you want to go for a PVR option with it
You don't need an extra LNB feed for Sky+. Sky+ will work with only one cable between box and dish, but you obviously won't be able to record one channel while watching another. If possible you should update the LNB on your dish to a quad and get a second feed fitted, but you don't need to. Freesat is not a viable option - a Freesat PVR costs more than a Sky+ box and will also require two feeds to record one channel while watching another. You are already a Sky subscriber so why go down the Freesat path and receive less channels than you currently receive through Sky, when the Sky+ subscription costs nothing extra to what you are already paying?

ecurran1969

Standard Member
Some strange, misleading responses on this thread.

Of course a box won't record without a Sky+ subscription - it is Sky+ functionality that allows a box to record, to pause live TV, to set up series link etc. But to then call Rupert Murdoch what you did seems very odd - as everybody knows, Sky+ is free if you have a Sky subscription, all you need to do is phone Sky and activate it. So to throw insults around willy-nilly like this just seems to be ****-stirring for the sake of it.

To the OP - yes, if you buy a Sky+ box (from Sky or elsewhere) and phone Sky to pair the card with the box, at the same time as doing the pairing they will activate Sky+ (without charging you for the privilege).

You don't need an extra LNB feed for Sky+. Sky+ will work with only one cable between box and dish, but you obviously won't be able to record one channel while watching another. If possible you should update the LNB on your dish to a quad and get a second feed fitted, but you don't need to. Freesat is not a viable option - a Freesat PVR costs more than a Sky+ box and will also require two feeds to record one channel while watching another. You are already a Sky subscriber so why go down the Freesat path and receive less channels than you currently receive through Sky, when the Sky+ subscription costs nothing extra to what you are already paying?
Thanks everyone for their input, including the Murdock lover, lol, anywho, you've all answered my questions.

In a nutshell I understand it that I can purchase the Sky box with hard drive, install it & then pair it with my Sky card and then call up Sky to activate Sky + ? Does that seem OK ?

Thank you

ecurran1969

JayCee

Distinguished Member
In a nutshell I understand it that I can purchase the Sky box with hard drive, install it & then pair it with my Sky card and then call up Sky to activate Sky + ? Does that seem OK ?
Not quite...you don't pair the viewing card...when you phone Sky you ask them to do it and unless you have a Sky subscription it'll cost you £10 per month for the recording facility.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom