Question can I use passive crossover with a speaker missing?

rjd51

Novice Member
hi, I have a 4-way hi-fi speaker with the tweeter missing.
Its got a 4-way crossover inside of it with the wires for the tweeter still attached, is it safe to run the speakers without connecting the wires for the tweeters to anything or could his cause damage to anything?
also wouldn't cause any loss of sound quality or could I just run a small tweeter box on top of them to make up for the missing driver?

or even is there a way of sending the wires of the tweeter to one of the other drivers?
I wouldn't have thought that would work sending the two wires to one driver but if anyone knows any tricks

thanks

Last edited:

Kapkirk

Do not wire the tweeter wires to anything other than another tweeter or you could damage your amplifier. It will work just fine and safe without the tweeter or wires to the tweeter connected but you will will lose the hi frequency sounds from the speakers making them sound a little dull, this is not ideal really, could you not just get some cheap replacement tweeters to replace the ones that are missing? there are plenty of places that sell them, so you should be able to get a close match.

rjd51

Novice Member
Do not wire the tweeter wires to anything other than another tweeter or you could damage your amplifier. It will work just fine and safe without the tweeter or wires to the tweeter connected but you will will lose the hi frequency sounds from the speakers making them sound a little dull, this is not ideal really, could you not just get some cheap replacement tweeters to replace the ones that are missing? there are plenty of places that sell them, so you should be able to get a close match.

I have a pair of duel cone speakers that in my opinion sound better than both the high frequency drivers on the current hifi
I’ve been considering replacing the crossover for a 3 way to use them instead.
If I connected both positive wires for the high frequency to them and run them in parallel would it work until I can switch the crossover?

nheather

Distinguished Member
You should be able to just leave the tweeter out. Although the crossover is all on one circuit board it is effectively a different circuit for each speaker being driven by the same signal. Each circuit is just a simple filter, a high-pass for the tweeter, a low-pass for the bass and band-pass for mid-range.

Because they are effectively individual circuits you can remove a speaker without impacting how the others work.

Do not connect the tweeter wires up to anything else, do not short them together. Ideally, tape the ends up so that they can’t inadvertently touch anything else or themselves.

As @Kapkirk says, you could just fit a replacement tweeter, doesn’t have to be an exact match.

Cheers,

Nigel

Kapkirk

Dual cone drivers are typically "full range" meaning they do not need a crossover at all. I'm not sure what it is exactly you are trying to achieve. Full range drivers need the appropriate size cabinet to work properly.
If you are thinking of using the dual cone drivers as tweeters on top of your 4 way speakers, yes you can do that if you want to experiment (just use the wires from the old tweeters) but it would not sound right as drivers in a cabinet need to be physically and acoustically aligned, by moving the tweeter too far away from the mid/bass unit (on top of the speaker) it would sound a little odd as the speaker and crossover was not designed that way.
without a full explanation of what you are trying to do and seeing what your 4 way speakers are and pictures of the dual cone drivers it is hard to give you a correct solution to your problem.

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom