Can i use O2s router? and other questions

rockmonkey1973

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Ok i have just joined sky and i got a welcome pack in the post today. i see the router they give me is actually my property unlike the vast majority of other isps out there. have to say they get a star in my book for this alone!

anyways i actually really like my o2 router because it has a couple of usb ports that i can use to hook up external devices such as hard drives. the router also has a pretty decent (but basic) media server and ftp inbuilt so i was thinking of keeping it. bear in mind i bought this off ebay so it is mine.

anyways i am assuming it would be ok to do this? can anyone confirm?

also just out of interest how fast is skys router? is it capped at 150 Mbps? is it dual band or does it just use the 2.4Ghz channel?

anyways i actually really like my o2 router because it has a couple of usb ports that i can use to hook up external devices such as hard drives. the router also has a pretty decent (but basic) media server and ftp inbuilt so i was thinking of keeping it. bear in mind i bought this off ebay so it is mine.

anyways i am assuming it would be ok to do this? can anyone confirm?

Confirm what? Of course you can keep it - you bought it off e-Bay.

.....is it capped at 150 Mbps? is it dual band or does it just use the 2.4Ghz channel?

Yes, and it is 2.4Ghz only.

well thanks for that mate. :rotfl:

i guess i may not have been very clear in the actual phrasing of the question although i thought the title may have given the game away somewhat.

anyways can i use my o2 router with sky broadband?

as far as i can tell sky have given me this router (which i dont need)

have they given me it to keep forever or will they ask for it back when i leave?

Last edited:
Hi

The router is yours to keep forever and comes with a 12 month warranty.

You can make other routers work with sky broadband, you will be able to find how to do this if you search for it.

You can make other routers work with sky broadband, you will be able to find how to do this if you search for it.

.....but it is quite a pain to do and if you ever have a problem with your broadband Sky won't want to know.
You could use the Sky equipment as a modem only and use your O2 equipment as the router.

thanks guys. i have actually just called sky and the nice friendly chap said yes it is ok (although worryingly he said no intially and then asked someone who corrected him!!!). all i need to do is use the sky router for the initial set up and then call them and they will walk me through it.

i will be doing that for sure because my o2 router has a couple of handy usb ports for hard drives, an inbuilt media server (which works very well surprisingly) and it supports ftp.

not too concerned about support from them. assuming they deliver the service as promised i am quite happy to take care of any technical issues that may occur regarding my router.

all in all i am quite happy and look forward to cheap but decent broadband.

.....all i need to do is use the sky router for the initial set up and then call them and they will walk me through it.

I suspect that they will walk you through "You could use the Sky equipment as a modem only and use your O2 equipment as the router."

(A modem/router is a modem/router, a router is a router.[Did you just ask if you could use your existing router?])

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom