1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I use NAS to make my PC Silient?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by PannyAdams, Oct 23, 2005.

1. PannyAdams

PannyAdams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    My HTPC is now completely silient, except the Tb of storage. The Seagates are audiable when nothing else is on in the room. But, I've just had a brainwave.....but I need some one to tell me if it will work!

I'm about to buy one of these:

www.sonos.com

One of the advantages is you can use the ZonePlayers as wireless bridges, and connect a NAS like this:

http://www.buffalotech.com/products/product-detail.php?productid=71&categoryid=10

It also has two USB ports so I could buy USD drive enclosures for two of my existing drives and add these on to it. So if I put the Sonos Zone player in the loft with the NAS disk drives attached I won't be able to hear them.

But will the transfer rate over the network be able to handle say DVD playback from the NAS disk on one PC and MP3 playback to another?

Anyone already done this? Anything else I've missed? Any recomendations for NAS?

Thanks

Barry

2. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hard drives aren't noisy.

I don't know why you people keep hating on HDDs but I got a Raptor 74 and a 500 Gig Hitachi next to me and only when you really stress the Hitachi could you hear stuff.

3. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,541
    Cos you're deaf? :devil:

4. PannyAdams

PannyAdams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Mine aren't noisey - but they make a noise and so ain't silent.

I don't find them being noisey, just not in my front room!

I can't believe no-one has network attached storage on these forums? :lease:

5. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,541
    I've my server in the spare room, with 4 x SCSI 10k rpm and 4 x SATA 7200rpm drives. Very noisy!

6. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    I have an old KG7 RAID mobo with a XP2200 and 512mb of RAM. This allows upto 8 HDs and I have just over 500Gb on this. This I keep under the stairs because I dont want noise anywhere near living rooms. This is in effect NAS as the drives are just shares and I map to them. The PC has a gigabit network card connected to a giga switch (which are very affordable), and 3 PCs, 2 Xboxs and a Showcenter stream MP3s, DVDs from it.

Unless your loft is converted then it would be unwise to put anything electronic in it. Changes in humidity and temperature will kill it very quickly.

I hope thats of help.

7. rdhir

rdhir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I made a media server for the same reason. Just the same as NAS. I bought the stuff new but its fine and does not need to be that high powered to stream data. Make sure your network is 100Mbs and 1000Mbs/Gigabit if you need to upgrade, (but you probably don't need to upgrade if its all 100Mbs).

Don't know how many drives you need for your terabyte, nor how many you may wish to add. I do recommend making it raid 5 though, and software raid 5 will be fine. Unless you think re-ripping a terabyte is fun.

You can hack Windows XP to run software raid 5 by changing hacking a DLL. This is not legitmate, but basically it enables some code shared with Windows Server 2003. Alternately you can go Linux or buy a real NAS box. But grow your own will be a lot cheaper especially if you already have the drives and or controllers.

Cheers

Rajiv

8. PannyAdams

PannyAdams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have no wired network in place - I was hoping to use wifi! So I take it this is a non-starter! I might think about running a Gigabit wired LAN up there, but this would involve building a server - do you run it on Linux to save on windows licenses?

As for putting it in the loft - no it isn't converted, but I recon I can build an inclosure - not sure how to protect against humidity though. I assume converted lofts do this because they are lived in.

9. discostewart

discostewart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    would love to shove my computer in a cupboard

i have a wireless mouse and keyboard but can u make a monitor wiereless? not in terms of its power supply but the video feed?

then less noise and less bulky boxes in the room !

10. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Precisely, how you gonna move the video from A to B? a DVI cable can be done but it'll cost you a fortune, teh Geffen DVI senders and stuff cost like 700 quid - just live with the computer next to you.

11. rdhir

rdhir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    audio is no problem over wireless, and video should not be. You could try a measurement tool to see if you can sustain >6mbps or whatever rate you need (depends on codec). The simplest measurment tool is to try the video file of your choice. But you would only get a single or two video streams simultaneously, with wired you can do a lot more, so...

Its really hard to be definitive over wireless as it depends on the type of building, neighbours, equipment etc.

I just used Windows XP, but stripped it down with WinXP lite. You can use Linux as well and run Samba to share the drives.

Cheers

Rajiv

12. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nothing is a problem with an unlimited budget.

13. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    you should not have any problems with the NAS serving a dvd and mp3 stream simultaneously over wireless. HD works also.

14. mac_monkey

mac_monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    DVD over wifi is a no go, Ive tried it, It should be OK but with overheads, DECT phone, distance, walls, boiler, washing machine and pretty much everything in a moden home degrading signal quality it doesnt work :(

I have a 1.5TB media server, spec as follows;

Coolermaster Stacker case,
    SKT 478 MB (cant remember which one, Giga lan, usb2, 800fsb etc)
    2.8 P4 800 FSB (not prescot)
    (2x) 256mb Ram
    (6x) 250GB WD 8mg cache (the aldi offer ones @£60 each)
    (1x) 80GB for OS + MP3's
    (1x) Seasonic S12 600W PSU
    (1x) Pioneer 109 DVD RW
    (2x) 4 in 3 module (cooler master drive caddy 4 HD in 3 5.25" bays)
    (2x) PCI IDE controllers
    (3x) 120mm Fans
    (1x) 80 mm Fans

Considering the size of it and the amount of hard drives in it the server is pretty quiet (relatively) but I wouldnt have it in my front room, it's currently sitting in the (unused) front porch, which is out of sight BTW. The bonus of that is it's always cold in there keeping temps down

I attach the server to my Mac mini client via ethernet. The mini is the quietest PC I have ever (not) heard, including the shuttle I tried to silence.

My advice is to buy a length of CAT 5, any old <£100 PC of ebay, a coolermaster stacker case, a couple of PCI controller cards and forget about it. If you can survive on 4 hard drives then try out nas lite;
    NasLite

15. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Not sure this is true as a blanket statement, certainly if you use wifi you are more likely to run into problems than with a well setup wired network but it doesn't mean that it can't work. there are plenty of users on here (myself included) who have seen dvd and even HiDef stuff work perfectly over wifi.

I would agree that if possible running a Cat5 cable is the simlpest and best method but not everyone has that luxury, if wifi is the only way then it should be possible to get it to work ok.

16. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,172
    DVD over Wifi is quite easily possible.
    It needs a bit thought setting it up sometimes, but nothing too tricky.
    If range/walls are a problem get an upgrade antenna.
    If interference is a problem using a different channel will cure this 9/10 times without any further tinkering.. :)

17. Brakeinup

Brakeinup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just for info - I have a modded Xbox which is connected to my PC network via 54G wireless.

I can get dvd content from my pc though the wireless setup to my xbox then to my tv with no problems.

18. mac_monkey

mac_monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Really? I cant get any where the speed needed and ive got line of sight(10ft)? My Config is;

Media server -- > Cat5 --> Wireless Router --> 802.11g --> Mac mini.

My router is set up as follows;

WPA encryption / Wireless Mode = mixed mode / Power Control = highest / SSID = Disabled / TX = Auto / DTIM Interval = 3 / Beacon Interval = 100 / Speed enhanced mode = Enabled.

Whats your config? Have you got any kind of encryption etc any information would be fantastic. I thought it was just not possible with DVD quality?.

19. Embarker

Embarker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    have you thought about a firewire NAS device?

See here

20. ARoss

ARoss
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any idea how quiet an Xbox 360 is ?

If you have a MCE in another room you can stream video no problem to the Xbox running the MCE extender which is built in.
    Either wired or wirelessly.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/mediacenter/extender/showme.mspx

the Xbox looks fairly thin there maybe scope to attach the Xbox to the rear of the TV/LCD/whatever....

that would be neat....

pity I'm not into games !

oh and getting one might not be so straightforward

21. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Seeing as DVDs max out at 10Mbps, and a 802.11g wifi link has a theoretical max of 54Mbps, and can get real life speeds of 20Mbps+, streaming a DVD over it should easily be possible.

What may slow things down a lot is encryption. The wireless router and/or the wifi card in the Mac mini may have low specced processors that just haven't got enough oomph to do the encoding/decoding as fast as the link can go. Try disabling encryption and see what happens. (turn on MAC filtering as a poor substitute for security whilst you're testing)

Also set the mode to 802.11g only.

And is the wired network operating at 10Mbps or 100Mbps? Half or full duplex? I've come across 802.11g APs that only had 10Mbps ports on them (!!!!)

22. matthew_hallson

matthew_hallson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0