Can I use my existing freeview box as well as a youview one?

john53

Standard Member
Hi Everyone
I need you help please. I have a Panasonic TX-P42V20B plasma tv and a Panasonic DMR-BW880 Blu-Ray Disc Recorder with twin tuner freeview and HDD recording.

I am with talktalk and they have offered me a free youview box for no extra monthly charge or one off payment so it seems daft not to take them up on it.

Would I be able to use any of the features of the 880 though? If so which ones and how should I connect it up?

Would appreciate any help and advice.
Regards
John

VinceB

Standard Member
Would I be able to use any of the features of the 880 though? If so which ones and how should I connect it up?

Yes you can use all of them.:thumbsup: Simply daisy chain your aerial leads in and out two boxes and use one of the other HDMI inputs on the TV for the Youview box. If you have a AV amp. and your 880 goes through it then the set-up may be a bit more complicated.

john53

Standard Member
Hi Vincent

That's great thank you. Would I lose any picture quality? I don't have an AV amp so no problems there!
Regards
John

Gavtech

Administrator
Both are network devices - so if you are using network hard wiring you may need a local Network switch to provide more than one connection ( Can be had a for a few pounds.)

john53

Standard Member
Both are network devices - so if you are using network hard wiring you may need a local Network switch to provide more than one connection ( Can be had a for a few pounds.)

My router is in thae hall and the av setup in the front room so I've ordered a Devolo dLAN 500 AVtriple+ Starter Kit 1721which has 3 network sockets available for my AV. The Panasonic TV is a network device as well so I'm hoping this will provide all my needs.
The homeplug adaptors are as on the link below:-
Devolo dLAN 500 AVtriple+ Starter Kit 1721 2 x Homeplug AV adapters 500Mbps | eBay

winston2010

My router is in thae hall and the av setup in the front room so I've ordered a Devolo dLAN 500 AVtriple+ Starter Kit 1721which has 3 network sockets available for my AV. The Panasonic TV is a network device as well so I'm hoping this will provide all my needs.
The homeplug adaptors are as on the link below:-
Devolo dLAN 500 AVtriple+ Starter Kit 1721 2 x Homeplug AV adapters 500Mbps | eBay

Very bad news. Power line networking causes serious interference to your neighbours. In particular high speed ones like these can interfere with FM and DAB. The mains wiring was never designed to be used in this way and your whole house becomes a huge transmitter.

john53

Standard Member
Hi everyone

Thank you all for all your help and advice. Got it set up and everything is brilliant thank you!

Best regards
John

Gavtech

Administrator
Hi everyone

Thank you all for all your help and advice. Got it set up and everything is brilliant thank you!

Best regards
John

Thanks for reporting back.

fozziebear39

Very bad news. Power line networking causes serious interference to your neighbours. In particular high speed ones like these can interfere with FM and DAB. The mains wiring was never designed to be used in this way and your whole house becomes a huge transmitter.

I thought 'very bad news' was over the top :) his choice was great as he needed more than 1 ethernet, the triple one, reported back its all working.

How bad is interference supposed to be? I have power line networking not noticed any problem with DAB or FM.

VinceB

Standard Member
Very bad news. Power line networking causes serious interference to your neighbours.

He is quite right, they are capable of causing interference but so are mobile phones, electric drills, hairdryers, thermostats, timers etc.:mad: Ofcom has not made any fuss in this regard as a ban or serious restriction may well effect large amounts of other pieces of domestic and commercial equipment. These complaints of interference come mainly from Amateur radio enthusiasts many of whom will cry "very bad news" at the very first mention of power line working without any knowledge of the situation. To sum up, it can happen but wait and see if your neighbours complain (if you have any), I bet they don't :thumbsup:

winston2010

He is quite right, they are capable of causing interference but so are mobile phones, electric drills, hairdryers, thermostats, timers etc.:mad: Ofcom has not made any fuss in this regard as a ban or serious restriction may well effect large amounts of other pieces of domestic and commercial equipment. These complaints of interference come mainly from Amateur radio enthusiasts many of whom will cry "very bad news" at the very first mention of power line working without any knowledge of the situation. To sum up, it can happen but wait and see if your neighbours complain (if you have any), I bet they don't :thumbsup:

Homeplugs work by deliberately generating wideband RF which is completely different from all the other items mentioned where the interference is accidental and can be suppressed. The manufacturers know this and notch out the amateur bands (partly successfully) as they also know radio amateurs understand the problems and are likely to be most vocal about it, as they do in fact have knowledge of the situation.

Interesting that at least one dealer has taken the responsible decision not to sell them for this reason.

Telephone Accessories

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Sorry winston2010, didn't appreciate it was that bad. Thanks for the info :)

Ignore him, this poster has a weird obsession with homeplugs :eek:

There must now be possibly a million or more of these in use, the number of problems they cause in comparison is minute. They are 100% legal, very very rarely cause problems to any one else. This poster will tell you smoking is legal and can cause problems to others :eek:

Comparing the two indicates the degree of obsession :boring:

One can kill you, the other has a minute chance of affecting someone elses radio reception :confused:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom