Can I use my Dell XP serial number to install on a Mac?

Laceybloke

Hi all,

I currently have two computers - a Dell PC running XP and a Mac running OSX 10.4.

I'm thinking of consolidating down to just one machine and want to get a new Intel-based iMac and run OSX and XP side by side through Parallels or Bootcamp (not sure which yet).

What I want to be able to do - if it's possible - is to install XP on the Mac and use the serial number that came with the Dell machine. I'd then erase the Dell machine and either cannibalise it for parts or stick Linux on it or something. I wouldn't - repeat WOULD NOT - be trying to use two copies of XP. I'd be installing from an OEM XP CD, not the Dell recovery disc if that makes a difference?

What I need to know is - Is the XP serial number locked to the Dell hardware? Is what I'm trying to achieve possible? Would it all validate okay?

Thanks in advance for your wisdom :eek:)

graham.myers

Distinguished Member
legally no you cant.

OEM copies are supposed to be tied to the machine they are sold with and cant be 'unbundled'

Laceybloke

legally no you cant.

OEM copies are supposed to be tied to the machine they are sold with and cant be 'unbundled'

So what piece of hardware is XP tied to? How does it tell? What if I upgraded the motherboard or something in my PC - would XP then refuse to reinstall? Strikes me that I've paid for XP when I originally bought the computer - is it not actually "mine"? Am I just leasing it from Microsoft then?

How confusing.

graham.myers

Distinguished Member
your dell computer was supplied with the copy of xp and is licensed for use on that computer only. You havent bought windows, Dell bought it from microsoft and bundling it with their machine.

OEM software comes bundled with hardware and is associated only with that hardware and cannot legally be transferred. replacing motherboards means you still own "most" of the original hardware so can still legally be used on the motherboard

a lot of shops sell oem software and you notice a clause which says "must be sold with a pc" which of course they ignore.

the reason oem software (well Microsoft's at least) is cheaper than the retail version is down to support. Support of oem software lays at the feet of the pc manufacturer not Microsoft they do not support OEM copies you have to ring Dell

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom