Can I use my AVR200 to power my Atmos speakers

Jonzey

Standard Member
Hi

So I recently upgraded from my (ancient but much loved) Arcam AVR200 to a new Arcam AVR390 and I'm currently running it in a 7.1 formation. I'd really like to add 4 atmos to the set-up but obviously the 390 only has 7 channels on-board so I need an external amp.

Can I feasibly use my old AVR200 to run those four height channels? My plan is to output from the 390's supplied height pre-amp outputs and run via RCA into the External 5.1 multi-channel inputs. Is this possible or am I misunderstanding how that audio-path works? Could it be I'm limited to running just two height channels via RCA to a line input like CD/ etc?

If none of the above is possible I've read online that even if I get a dedicated power amp for the fronts the 390 can't re-assign internal channels either so it's a 4 channel amp (or 2x 2) for atmos or nothing at all.

I already have a pair of CA minx min21 I was going to try out as height speakers and I could just test the theory using 2 channels using the minx but I"d rather not cut new speaker cable if it's a fool's errand and there's no point in the immediate outlay on two extra speakers if four isn't possible with the AVR200

I hope that all makes sense, thanks in advance :)

Last edited:

Jamie

Distinguished Member
A proper power amp would be preferable but I see no reason the AVR200 couldn't be used like you say.

The multi channel input still goes through the volume control circuits on the AVR200 so the volume will need to be relatively high to allow the height channels to be loud enough.

My only objection to your plan is I still use an AVR200 as a stereo amp, a task it's surprisingly good at.

Upvote 0

Jonzey

Standard Member
A proper power amp would be preferable but I see no reason the AVR200 couldn't be used like you say.

The multi channel input still goes through the volume control circuits on the AVR200 so the volume will need to be relatively high to allow the height channels to be loud enough.

My only objection to your plan is I still use an AVR200 as a stereo amp, a task it's surprisingly good at.

Hey Jamie I have an A65+ for that 😉

Upvote 0

Jonzey

Standard Member
Thank you for backing up my thoughts though. No point in selling the 200 as it’s a lovely amp still but worth squat s/h. Once I get a proper amp I plan on giving it to my young mate to help him make his start into HT. my mate’s dad had a £100k system back in the 90s (laserdiscs ooooh) and he did the same for me. This is what got me hooked. Pay it forward n’ that. (You should see his system now…! 🤯 last I heard 6 years ago he had £20k mono-blocks per speaker made by brands I’ve never heard of and a hand built custom stretched, curved 21:9 screen blah blah etc etc)

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom