• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Can I use my 4.1 PC Speaker system with my TV?

Hakib

Standard Member
Hi all, Im a bit of an audio system noob, but I know my way around most other electronics and computers.

I have an Altec Lansing 4.1 PC speaker system that's pretty old (year 2000), but still sounds amazing watching movies on my PC.

Now that I have an HDTV and a PS3, I would like to use these speakers as part of my home theatre setup, but I don't know if it's even possible...

The Altec Lansing set has two 3.5mm input jacks: one for L/R, one for Surround.

My TV has two digital outputs: one Coaxial, one Optical.

What do I need to connect the Altec Lansing system to the TV? Is a +100$(US) receiver totally necessary?

PSM1

Distinguished Member
There is no way I know that you can connect these speakers to you TV and get surround sound. They are designed to be used with a PC that decodes the surround sound and then sends it to the correct speakers.
Due to the impedance of the speakers I doubt you could connect them to any AV reciever (if under 4 ohms then they can not be used).

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom