1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can I use mini Hi-Fi as pre-amp???

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by ciber, Dec 30, 2003.

1. ciber

ciber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a very good Onkyo micro system around $15W mini receiver, it has 6 audio inputs. Can I use it as pre-amp ???
    so that I can buy a power amp only

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    does it have a 'pre-out' connection?

ad

3. ciber

ciber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, it has 2 line-out, 1 pre-out (L, R). the pre-out is for sub-woofer.

Hey, what is the difference between line-out and pre-out?

4. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I've been wondering about this too. I've a Sony mini hifi but it doesn't have pre-out socket, could I use the headphone out socket for a reasonable quality output using a 3.5mm - 2RCA adapter?

5. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    well i know for sure that a pre-out will have been passed through the volume control..... so you can control the volume using that on the mini system. Line out would not in theory need to have done the same..... it could be a signal directly from the source section so would not have volume control unless you added it elsewhere. That said, with a mini system i find it unlikely that the two would differ, sounds like time and money that just wouldnt have been spent. First choice would be to try the pre-out if you can, and if not, then try the line out.

eviljohn2,
    The difficulty (or problem) i can see with using the headphone out is that this will have passed through additional circuitry which will likely have degraded the signal. There is also more chance that the signal will be something other than line level so you may find that you either have to keep the volume very high or very low to be listenable.

ad