Can I use Mac (2011) along with a Mac Mini

Golfnut

Standard Member
I have an iMac (mid 2011) and I am thinking of purchasing a MacMini. I know with this model I can use the IMac screen to display the Mac Mini content using a specific connecting cable. My question is if I do this connection can I still use the IMac to view its files/photos I have accumulated etc. (to save space which I would lose if I transferred them across to the Mini). I appreciate the two machines could not be active at the same time. So basically my question is can I use the screen for the two computers.Would I have to remove the connecting cable to do this swap or maybe not switching on the MacMini and only switching on the Mac? I hope this is understandable to readers. Thanks for opinions.

Jamie

Distinguished Member
The feature is called target display mode and yes you can still switch back to the original system on the iMac.
The iMac must still be running an older version of MACOS, no newer than High Sierra as the feature was removed in newer versions. In theory it's a simple key combination on the iMac to switch in and out of target display mode so still easy to access the iMac system which is still running on the back ground

Golfnut

Standard Member
Jamie thank you very much for your reply. My IMac is on High Sierra. So I am good to go. So that I don't make a mistake can you confirm the exact cable connection I need please.

Jamie

Distinguished Member
On earlier iMac's (2010 model) it was a mini display port which made things easier, the 2011 iMac is the same physical connector but it's a thunderbird port for displays.

I can't help with cables as I've only used an earlier Mac with display port myself but presumably a thunderbird cable with the older TB2 connector one end and a USBC the other is what you'll need I think, or maybe an adapter to TB2 in the mini is another possibility.

P Adams

We use a similar set up in our design studio using ‘Thunderbolt’ cables for connecting the two items together. Works really well

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom