Can I use HC-V210 camcorder as a webcam?

Andy3142

Novice Member
I wonder if there is any way to use a Panasonic HC-V210 camcorder as a webcam? Panasonic support just told me (amazingly quickly and efficiently) that it didn't have this "feature". But that leaves open the possibility that there is some workaround to do it nevertheless. I'd love it if there was!
Many thanks
Andy, Bristol

next010

Distinguished Member
Yes, but you will need a HDMI capture device, the HC-V210 HDMI mini output goes into the capture device and the software will process it as a camera.

Also you will need to toggle the camera settings so it has a clean output with no on screen display, an internet search states the HC-VC210 is capable of this.

Andy3142

Novice Member
Thank you @next010, that's good. I'm puzzled though by what counts as an HDMI capture device. The Elgato ones you link to are more expensive than a new webcam. But it looks like very cheap things on Amazon do the same job, particularly since my camcorder is 8 years old and won't have high-end resolution etc. Is that right - the £15 - £20 versions do the job? 'Tis puzzling.

next010

Distinguished Member
Thank you @next010, that's good. I'm puzzled though by what counts as an HDMI capture device. The Elgato ones you link to are more expensive than a new webcam. But it looks like very cheap things on Amazon do the same job, particularly since my camcorder is 8 years old and won't have high-end resolution etc. Is that right - the £15 - £20 versions do the job? 'Tis puzzling.

Cheap ones may work just fine too, though its hard to say with absolute certainty.

Andy3142

Novice Member
To make this thread complete, I bought a cheap one and it works perfectly. I bought an "Amozo 4K HDMI Video Capture Card". They are £15 - £17 on Amazon. You also need an HDMI cable to fit the camera. Very easy.

Thank you again @next010 .

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom