Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Can I use existing kit in the transition to my M&K system?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by GavinH, Oct 4, 2003.

1. GavinH

GavinH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey all, got a few strange questions regarding whether or not I can use bits of my existing equipment as I buy new stuff in stages, so here goes…

I am pretty set on getting M&K speakers from the K series, not sure which ones yet, and not necessarily one of their subs, but demonstrations will help me out there. However, due to budget constraints, I will probably be purchasing the components in 3 stages: front 3 speakers together, rear speakers together, and the sub.

Currently I have an old Sony “Home cinema in a box” system, the DAV-S300. If I were to buy the 3 M&K speakers for the L, C and R, would I be able to add the sub and two satellite speakers from the DAV-S300, and power the whole lot with my Sony STR-V555ES? At this point, I would have a DVD player to do the job that the S300 is doing at the moment…

Also, does anyone know whether I could mix the DAV-S300 with my existing stereo equipment? For example, when I get the new DVD player for the living room, and the front 3 M&Ks, I will have the S300 and 3 satellites lying around doing nothing. I know that the “home cinema in a box” does some amplification, but is there anyway I could send an audio signal to my stereo amp, and use it (with the CDM 1NTs) for the front two channels, and the remaining 3 satellites for centre and rear duties.

Is this possible? Is it even worth considering, or will the mismatch in speakers sound completely awful?

Thanks for any help guys, Gav

2. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't even think about powering M&Ks off anything with a Sony badge on it. A recent review of a Sony ES range AV amp pointed out some very worrying things about the amplification section. Pairing M&Ks with poor amps is a recipe for disaster.

3. GavinH

GavinH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've demo'd the M&K K15s with the arcam AVR200, and they sounded good to me. From what I've read about the str-v555es, its as good as, if not better than the avr200... What Hi Fi gave it product of the year in 2002.

Anyone else got serious doubts about powering the M&Ks with the sony amp?

Gav

4. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,009
    M&K's like power and lots of it, don't know the Sony stuff enough to advise any further.

5. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    Yes definate reservations. Havent heard the Sony (actually not sure - Trendes had one I think) but can it handle a 4 ohm load ? The review in HCC wasnt very convincing esp regarding it's ouput. Regardless the M&K's will sound much better with improved amplification.