Can i use European system in UK?

Sharkadder

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi im just asking a quick question.

I live in the uk and my question is this:

If i buy a dvd player or recorder or anything like that from another european country it should be ok as long as i buy a plug converter. is this right?

i thinkk it should be ok but just need somebody whos an expert on this stuff to give me the go ahead before i do it, thanks

If i buy a dvd player or recorder or anything like that from another european country it should be ok as long as i buy a plug converter. is this right?

Nope...there's a lot more to it than just the correct mains plug.
We in the UK use the UHF frequency band for our TV broadcasts...within Channels 21-69...we also have Analogue or Digital (Freeview) tuners in DVDRs built for use in the UK...we also use the PAL-I system...some European countries use VHF for their broadcasts and different systems such as SECAM and variations of PAL so all I can suggest is you either buy it in the UK or if you are hell-bent on buying abroad you report back with an idea of where you're intending to buy from and a make/model no you are considering.

the dvd record is a Medion 81335 with a built in 160gb hard drive and it is from Germany, ive also seen one from Belgium at a simular price to the one i saw this one at.

So would this be ok or not?

Im led to believe that our freeview boxes work fine in France on their digital system so any recorder should be ok on that score.

Im led to believe that our freeview boxes work fine in France on their digital system so any recorder should be ok on that score.

That depends on whether the Medion 81335 has a DVB tuner.

i dont think it does, i just think its a recorder with a harddrive.

you will record digital TV with a seperate box like a technomate bought in the uk or something

i dont think it does, i just think its a recorder with a harddrive.

Why not just buy a UK spec DVDR?...what's the point of taking a chance on a cheap make like Medion...bought from abroad to save a few bob :confused:

think i will stick to uk spec, but thanks

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom