can I use banana plugs with my A75+

cameronl

Prominent Member
Reaction score
hi there, I was wondering whether my A75+ will accept banana plugs.

Can I flick out the middle pins on each terminal somehow?

thanks

CaM

On my A75+, it is standard banana plugs and not BFA.

oh, ok :)

how do I tell?

I have an A32 and for that I insert my banana plugs fine but on my A75+ there is a pin in the way of each connector.

thanks

CaM

If there is a pin inside the plug, then it must be BFA.

I didn't know that ARCAM did 2 versions of the A75+ (BFA or banana).

Hi Guys.

I think I know what the issue is here.

Thanks to the EU safety standards (Bless those little bureaucrats in Brussels), the traditional binding post was considered dangerous as it exposed a section of metal that was not a 0 volts potential (sorry to get to technical).

The BFA (British Federation of Audio) revised binding posts have a plastic plug in the centre. My Arcam A80 came with a blue plug "up the spout" of all eight binding posts. Just remove the plastic plugs and a standard banana plug will fit straight into the centre of the "BFA" speaker terminal.

Hope this helps....

LPSpinner

LPspinner said:
Just remove the plastic plugs and a standard banana plug will fit straight into the centre of the "BFA" speaker terminal.

I'm afraid that's not quite true. a BFA speaker terminal will NOT accept a conventional banana plug, it needs to be a BFA plug or other hybrids such as the "z-plugs" of Milty CC124 Camcon plugs which can be used as 4mm banana plugs as well as BFA plugs because they have a hollow centre which fits around the non removeable pin in the centre of a BFA socket. The blue plastic caps you speak of are nothing to do with BFA sockets at all.

You can find more details here:

http://www.british-audio.org.uk/connectors.htm

This type of plug with the plastic end removed will fit either connection.

thanks everyone for the info. :)

So, um - how do I exactly get my banana plugs to work with the A75+?

thanks

CaM

Hi every body...

Oops; sorry for the miss-information on the BFA binding posts guys. A little more detailed research on the net and I can see the subtle difference.:oops:

My only other comment is what a really stupid and irrelevant Idea, to come up with an alternative connection when we have one that is perfectly good already. Those Eurocrats in Brussels just get more obtuse every day.

Thankfully we here in Australia have seen very little of these silly little connectors. My A80 has standard “good Ol” binding posts That take standard banana plugs.

Again sorry for the miss-information.

LPspinner said:
Hi every body...

My only other comment is what a really stupid and irrelevant Idea, to come up with an alternative connection when we have one that is perfectly good already. Those Eurocrats in Brussels just get more obtuse every day.

Thankfully we here in Australia have seen very little of these silly little connectors. My A80 has standard “good Ol” binding posts That take standard banana plugs.

It's not so silly. A lot of European countries use 4mm plugs and sockets for mains electricity, and the decision to move to BFA type is to stop anyone plugging a mains plug into the back of an amp or speaker. Don't blame the bureaucrats for the stupidity of the indigenous mainland european.:)
Tazz

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom