1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can i use any mic to set up av amp ????

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by laurence harvey, Oct 19, 2004.

1. laurence harvey

laurence harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, had no response to earlier question regarding lost mic for pioneer 814 and was wondering if anybody knows if i can use a standard mic from argos or somewhere. any advice greatly appreciated .

2. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi i don't think you can, not 100% sure though, maybe try and ask a local dealer just to confirm this.

John :)

3. laurence harvey

laurence harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks john, have asked several dealers but no definative answer yet :(

4. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why not try and email Pioneer they must have the answer ;)
    Hope you sort it out mate

John :)

5. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    You should be able to use any uni-directional mic. The likes of Argos may sell them but will probably market them as karokee mics.

If you use a standard mic - which is directional - and you pointed it say at the screen it would only directly pick up the centre and possibly the front speakers. The rear/surround speakers would only be picked up from sound reflections from the front wall and so would not give the system the information it requires to accurately set itself up.

The final most obvious thing to say is that a mic is effectively a speaker in reverse, sound waves cause a cone to vibrate which generates an electrical signal which travels to the amp. If you therefore pick up a cheapo mic - like buying cheapo speakers - it will do the job, just not very well.

Regards

6. aliflack

aliflack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    would the auto-install not be set up for a microphone of specific sensitivity though?

7. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    The thing to remember though is that the auto setup is configured to work with the mic that is supplied. Also like speakers, a mic will have its own characteristics that will colour the sound sent to the receiver. The receiver could therefore be trying to cut or boost frequencies that the mic handles differently to the one supplied etc.

Mark.

8. laurence harvey

laurence harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thank u all for taking time to reply, have spoken to pioneer and it looks like they dont sell them as extras :(
    thinking bout buying a new amp using mic and sending it all back, not fair on shop but all i can think of to do. unless i can find someone with same amp who is willing to lend me their mic.
    thanks guys

9. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Just quickly emailed Pioneer and there response was:

All spare parts and manuals can be obtained from our spares distribution company who will be happy to provide a quote and will then submit a pro-forma invoice or accept credit card orders. Their address and telephone number is given below:

SEME Ltd.
    Chandos House
    School Lane
    Buckingham
    Bucks MK18 1HD
    Tel: 01280-823523

Their website is www.seme.co.uk and their e-mail is pioneer@seme.co.uk

10. laurence harvey

laurence harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks very much astaroth for services above and beyond !!!, have phoned them and they indeed sell the mic for £33 EEK !!!!!! might just set it up manually now im skint from buying my viera. still have been planning on buying some decent component leads but am quite happy with rgb ixos scart picture so might buy mic instead of components. thank u all for replying and taking an interest in my dilema.

11. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    No problem Laurence; it is amazing just how bored you can get reviewing CVs and what you will do to break the tedium.

Who ever wrote 'Lies, Lies & Statistics' should also include CVs in there - who do these people think they are kidding?

Ack well, only 3 more vacancies to fill before I can go back to my real job

12. laurence harvey

laurence harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    u mean people actually lie on their cvs :) :lesson: