Question Can I use any cable to make a set of component cables

RobTi

Ok I need to test an old pj , no picture on pj but menu comes up, that has component inputs, so before I spend any money I wondered if I could use any old cable to make a home made set of cables to connect to my receiver component out just to see if it works ?
Thanks

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
You can try pretty much any RCA to RCA cable - if you try the Green Out to Green In or to a (usually Yellow) Composite In you ought to see a B&W video signal (you then add the Red and Blue to add colour).

Joe

RobTi

Thanks Joe what I meant was could I use co-axial cable or speaker cable and make my own cables, just the pj is on a ceiling mount hard wired to the power so I would need to get all that down to the receiver to try with my components (1M long) that I have

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Co-ax will be fine and you would most likely see an image on a speaker cable, but it will probably be quite distorted and may cut in and out.

A £10 mini gaming console - Thumbs Up Retro Games Controller: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics is often a good way of checking a composite input. They are normally battery driven and have a simple RCA output. To test a component input, follow Jo's instructions and plug it in the green socket. You should get a black and white image with some patterning on it.