can I use an old router as a switch ?

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by tim68, Jul 8, 2015.

1. tim68

tim68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    hi all

I have just installed a Virginmedia super hub so now I have a router no longer in use, but I was wondering if I can use it as a switch instead, by my tv I have PS4, Xbox One and a Dune media player going in to an AV amp,

I have the media player hard wired from the superhub with the PS4/Xbox on Wifi.

Can I use the cable from the superhub in to the router then a cable to each component ?

thanks very much

Edit. the old router is a Belkin N750 DB Wireless N+

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  2. cjed

cjed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +587
    The answer is "probably". You'll need to make sure the old router's DHCP server is turned off (there should be something in the configuration pages for that), and you'll probably want to turn off the old router's WiFi, and possibly assign it an IP address that doesn't conflict with other devices on your network (ideally in the same subnet, but outside of, the DHCP range supplied by the new super hub).

3. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,754
    Have a read of the "using two routers together FAQ" pinned in this forum and follow the instructions therein. If your router has more than one LAN port, then you should be able to use it as a switch (because the LAN ports are a switch.) If you don't want to use it's wi-fi, just turn it off - most SOHO routers seem to let you.

But you must sort out the aforementioned DHCP Server and ensure there's no IP address conflicts.

4. tim68

tim68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    hi

thanks for the replies. I'm not the most technical person in the forum but will have a try and see how it goes, will have a read through that thread as well. will have to wait for now while everyone is out of the house tomorrow afternoon hopefully.

5. tim68

tim68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    hi.

I think I got this working now

managed to get in to the Belkin page and turned off Wireless and DHCP, moved the belkin to where the devices are and hooked up the cable from Superhub to belkin then another cable to Dune I can see the Dune from my PC, I don't see the Belkin router at all now from the PC or from the superhub page, did I do it right ?, I'm guessing yes because I can play a movie from my NAS going through the Super hub and the Belkin to Dune. I haven't checked the PS4 and Xbox yet because I need to get more ethernet cable.

I have set static address for the Dune and NAS when I installed the Hub, should I do the same for the PS4 and Xbox when I get the cables needed ?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  6. tim68

tim68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    hi

I ended up buying a netgear 5 port switch in the end. much smaller and neater hiding that in the rack than a huge box like the belkin