1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can I use an Ixus from the US in the UK?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Elvis, Jan 27, 2004.

1. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I buy a canon Ixus (Elph in the US) in the US will it work ok in the UK? Am I likely to have any problems with it? Has anybody done this?

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,909
    Possible problems:

1) Mains voltage of the battery recharger. If it is rated at (up to) 230/240 V then OK. If it is rated at only 110V then you'll kill it when you plug it in.

2) If this camera has a TV output, it may be configured to only supply an NTSC signal. Which may or may not work with a given UK TV. If it has a choice of PAL or NTSC as UK models do - then OK.

Otherwise - no forseen problems.

3. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the response.

I've checked canon's US website and the Digital Elph s400 outputs to both PAL and NTSC as with the UK version. It also has the same battery (NB-1L) so I'm guessing I could use a UK recharger with it. I already have one of these from my ageing Ixus1. As far as I can see it's the same (rebadged) camera with a different recharger to account for voltage variations.

4. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Most chargers seem to be multi-voltage, you might be pleasantly surprised. I use one from Japan (more or less the same electricity as USA) without any problems.

5. mre15

mre15

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    you will have no problems at all, the charger is a universal 100-240 v unit and the output pal or ntsc is selectable.

The only problem you will have is if you get a fault as canon uk will not honour the warranty at all.

Also dont expect a mega bargain, you can get them here for less than 300 quid now.

6. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I suppose the warranty is a bit of a worry, the cost (at current exchange rates) for the camera is about £217 in the US as opposed to £299 in the UK. Is the warranty worth £80?

7. mre15

mre15

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    dont forget in the us you need to add sales taxes on top of the price make its even closer to the uk price

8. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good point, I had forgotten that. NY sales tax is 8.6%, which takes the cost up to £235, now it's only £63 cheaper :(

9. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,909
    Plus (technically) you declare it to HM C&E when you arrive here, and they add duty and VAT. (Reckon about 25%).