1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I use an amp this way?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Kootuu, Feb 27, 2003.

1. Kootuu

Kootuu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hey,

Ok I've got a Philip 28PW6006 TV and a Pioneer DV-350 DVD player. The pioneer player has a an s-video option at the back of it.

Now I'm going to get a new scart lead:

http://www.ixos.co.uk/interconnects/products/hometheatre/product.asp?id=282

I'm not getting an AMP just yet so I'll stick the s-video cable into the s-video port and the audio cables into the L and R audio ports at the back of the player.

I think I've got that right but please confirm.

NOW, if I wanted to add an AMP to the equation, how do I get the audio from the DVD player to work? The DVD player only has a coaxial output so I can use that to connect to the amp, but does that do video and sound? I ask because the L and R ports will be used up by the above scart.

I'm slightly confused on this subject.

Any ideas?

2. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If your TV and DVD player has an RGB scart then you would be better setting up using an RGB scart lead, this would give you a better picture.

When and if you get an amp you would use a digital coaxial lead to connect from DVD to Amp for sound but leave the scart or S-video lead connected from DVD to TV for the picture side of things, then unless you got an RGB video only scart lead you would need to turn the TV volume right down/off. My TV's volume is always turned off even when watching normal TV because I've also connected the L&R phono outs from the TV to the Amp so that if I'm using any source other than DVD it will still go through the amp using Dolby prologic II.

3. Kootuu

Kootuu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I always thought S-Video was better quality?

Anyway, what exactly does an RGB scart look like? or is it the normal one with 21 pins both end?

Ixos do them?

Thans for the info so far :)

4. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RGB or component are the best video formats. The RGB scart lead is either just a fully wired scart lead or can be a special Video only model but your TV must have an RGB enabled socket, most newer TV's have at least one of these.