Can I use active Aux input speakers to build surround audio system?

atanas8d

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I'm new to the AV audio, so I would like to ask for your help here.

I have one Bose S1 Pro portable PA bluetooth speaker and a pair Ruark Audio MK1 MK2 speakers. They are relatively good and I would like to think some way to utilize them in a surround system. Is it a good idea to buy good AV receiver and cables with 3.5 ends for the speakers input??

Thanks in advance.

If you're wishing to use active speakers with an AV Receiver, you need to ensure you purchase one with multi-channel pre-outs otherwise it will be uncomfortable when you wish to hear true 5.1 surround sound. These connection are dedicated RCA outputs and are usually labelled for each speaker input to that corresponding output speaker.

Now all AV Receivers offer this feature, but one like the Marantz SR6015 has the ability.

If you're speakers use balanced connections, then I feel you will need to rethink your system or the price of you're toys are going to get very expensive

Usually connecting powered speakers to an AV Receiver is identical to connecting a pre-power solution which I have included an image for you to look at

Hope that helps

Attachments

• Emotiva-JBL-SDA-7200-with-leads.jpg
    Emotiva-JBL-SDA-7200-with-leads.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 26
Thank you very much for your quick response.

How can I know if my speakers use balanced connection? They just have 3.5 input. And how this make the solution more expensive? Thanks.

If it's just a 3.5mm connection, then it's not balanced. So the speakers are designed for PC and the likes then. Because of this I'm not sure if they would be suitable fitting into an AV system :)

With them including PA in the title speaker name, I just expected them to XLR balanced leads oppose to RCA which is why I mentioned the cost increase

So to try to summarize your answer - if the speakers are active and have only 3.5 jack physical input, they are not suitable for AV system?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom