Can I use a VPN for specific devices only on same network?

xar

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am generally interested in using a VPN but have little experience. I know what they do, but I am unclear on the specifics. When I have tried some before they I have encountered issues where the device I am using is VPN'd (i.e. iMac) it can cause other devices in the house to either bump off their connection, or it causes issues when accessing geo-location based apps. e.g. my daughter was watching netflix on the iPad and it was assuming I was US based as the VPN on the iMac was set as such, and my wife couldn't watch BBC app on the Samsung telly. Both required me rebooting the router to get back to normal.

I also had issues working from home on my laptop which needs to access a secure work server, where again if the iMac was VPN'd it had issues connecting. i.e. it seemed like the router was assuming all traffic trying to access the internet was to be VPN'd to the location it was set to, rather than the specific devices

Note that I am not trying to access Netflix US (was just an example), I am just trying to figure if I could use a VPN on my iMac and Android phone on my home network with a VPN, but allow all the other devices to remain 'normal', both at the same time?

Any help much appreciated.

Last edited:
It depends. If you use a PPTP VPN, then it is possible that everything will be tunnelled through the VPN connection.

What are you trying to achieve exactly?

Mostly just want to be protected on my iMac without it interfering with all my other devices when using my home network. i.e. iMac is using VPN and set to the US for example, but kids can still use the iPad as if were connecting without a VPN

Hi all,

I am generally interested in using a VPN but have little experience. I know what they do, but I am unclear on the specifics. When I have tried some before they I have encountered issues where the device I am using is VPN'd (i.e. iMac) it can cause other devices in the house to either bump off their connection, or it causes issues when accessing geo-location based apps. e.g. my daughter was watching netflix on the iPad and it was assuming I was US based as the VPN on the iMac was set as such, and my wife couldn't watch BBC app on the Samsung telly. Both required me rebooting the router to get back to normal.

I also had issues working from home on my laptop which needs to access a secure work server, where again if the iMac was VPN'd it had issues connecting. i.e. it seemed like the router was assuming all traffic trying to access the internet was to be VPN'd to the location it was set to, rather than the specific devices

Note that I am not trying to access Netflix US (was just an example), I am just trying to figure if I could use a VPN on my iMac and Android phone on my home network with a VPN, but allow all the other devices to remain 'normal', both at the same time?

It sounds like you have set up the VPN on your router. Some firmwares offer this option, like in my Tomato router I can have all devices connect through the OpenVPN client which runs on it.

Alternatively, if you operate the client on each individual device it should not interfere with any other device on the network.

It sounds like you have set up the VPN on your router. Some firmwares offer this option, like in my Tomato router I can have all devices connect through the OpenVPN client which runs on it.

Alternatively, if you operate the client on each individual device it should not interfere with any other device on the network.
That woukd be the case with a PPTP VPN on the router, but not with an IPSec VPN though.

Mostly just want to be protected on my iMac without it interfering with all my other devices when using my home network. i.e. iMac is using VPN and set to the US for example, but kids can still use the iPad as if were connecting without a VPN
So do you want whichever services you are connecting to from the Mac to think you are in the US instead of where you actually are?

So do you want whichever services you are connecting to from the Mac to think you are in the US instead of where you actually are?
Yes, but doesn't need to be the US necessarily, and not for Netflix or Amazon prime access.

Ideal scenario is i can be on a VPN in my Mac pretending i am non UK while the rest of the devices are oblivious.

I was looking at Cyberghost for the Mac, and it looks like it installs on the device directly, so i assume only Mac traffic would be affected.

Thanks both - will give it a try and see. I think the last one I used might have been 'web based' in the sense that everything try to leave the router hit it first, and as such was impacted. Wasn't sure if this was standard practice, but seems not

I was looking at Cyberghost for the Mac, and it looks like it installs on the device directly, so i assume only Mac traffic would be affected.
Never heard of that one before and I know absolutely nothing about Macs but, unless other network devices are connecting through the Mac or you have changed some client/DNS settings on the router, no other devices should be affected by using a VPN client on one particular network device.

In general, all you need for connecting to these services is the open source OpenVPN client or something like Tunnelblick along with the ovpn configuration files from your VPN provider.

The best way to test would be to try another VPN provider. NordVPN offer a 3-day free trial and I've been happy with their service. Clients for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS etc. Note: Link is a referral, 20% discount on renewal.

I've used iVPN.net for about 3 years now. Exceptionally fast, you can pretend to come from any country you like and you can even multi hop (so look like your coming from Holland after going to Iceland first). They also have a free 3 day trial.

Cheers

G

Hi all,

hey Xar,

What vpn are you using? can you use it's app on multiple devices and connect each device separately from the device's respective app? In my case, we usually use ivacy on my friend's tab to stream anime while on my LG G3, I'm using the app to connect elsewhere for browsing, social networking and opening my mailbox. Sometimes, we skip using the app on one of the two device, depending upon our use of course, but you get the idea. you can call your provider to see if that's a possibility.

hey Xar,

What vpn are you using? can you use it's app on multiple devices and connect each device separately from the device's respective app? In my case, we usually use ivacy on my friend's tab to stream anime while on my LG G3, I'm using the app to connect elsewhere for browsing, social networking and opening my mailbox. Sometimes, we skip using the app on one of the two device, depending upon our use of course, but you get the idea. you can call your provider to see if that's a possibility.
None at the moment. I will try a few free ones to see what happens.

Hi buddy. Totally forgot about this thread. Started using Cyberghost and it seems fine. The software seems to go on my machine so only impacts it, whereas the previous one must have encryted all content at / after the router so therefore affected everything.

basically, if you have an app, you can make it work over that specific device. but if you have a second router in-between, you can configure it on your router and totally bypass the app. b

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom