1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I Use A Surround Amp/Receiver In This Set Up

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Garrett, Feb 10, 2003.

1. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,004
    I have been waiting ages to upgrade my lowly Yamaha Pro Logic stand alone processor to the delights of Dolby Digital, DTS etc,etc,etc and Pro Logic II, The last time I spoke to Yamaha they said they hadn’t one in the pipeline as we (UK) were the only market for stand alone processors. As I have a Audiolab 8000A amp and 8000PX power amp, running the front main speakers I was wondering.

1/ Would be possible to add a surround Amp/Receiver to the system and not have it running my main stereo speakers (still use my Audiolab for them)?

2/ If so would I be able to use a test signal on all the speakers in the system?

3/ Would I just hook it up the same way I presently have the Yamaha processor?

4/ And as I presently have a QED switching box for extra inputs would I be able to take it out of the system and link my components that used it through the new Amp/Receiver up to my Audiolab equipment?

2. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I used to use a Yam DSPE-800 with my stereo arcam amps. and it was fine, you'd be able to use any 5 channel amp like this as long as it has pre-outs. you'd simply not connect the speakers upto the Left and right fronts, simply take the 2 pre-outs to a spare stereo input on your audiolab.

The test signal should work fine.

Not sure what you have going through your speaker switch box, but from the sound of it you'd be able to get rid of it.

I think the only problem you might have is having to set the volume control on the audiolab to a known value whenever using the surround amp, my Arcam was dead easy cause it had a dedicated AV input which bypassed the volume control and was a fixed gain.

Hope that helps.

3. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Taking your points in turn:

1. Yes, as long as the unit has pre-outs for the main L/R channels.

2. Yes you will.

3. Pretty much the same.

4. Depends on the quality of the receiver/amp as a pre-amp. The thing to do is try it both ways and see which you prefer.

I was in a similar dilemma using an add-on Pro-Logic amp with a 5.1 input for DD from a DVD player with an onboard decoder. As you can see from the sig below I went for the processor/power amp route.

Oops! Just got beaten to a response by slingshot. Fastest finger first, eh? ;)

4. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,004
    I was looking at the DSPE-800 but it does not do Pro-logic II and some other stuff.
    And the switching box is not for speakers, but for the processor sat box and a tape deck.

When I use my present Yamaha with the Audiolab I set the test signal so the volume control was exactly vertical on the Audiolab and change the other channels to bring them in line. So when ever I use surround I do not need to test the system every time.

Very nice set AOD up but as you say black hole on the bank account.;)

Anyway thanks for the replies, slingshot and AOD:smashin: