Can I use a Sky Q remote with a Sky+ HD box?

skyscraper101

Standard Member
Hey all, I just purchased a Sky Q remote off ebay (link below) for my Sky+ HD box - however it does not seem to work with it.

Am I doing something wrong or are the two completely incompatible? Is there even an IR function to this remote? The eBay listing suggested it should work fine and has IR.

logiciel

Why get a Q remote for a non-Q receiver?:D

leasty

The eBay seller has it wrong. A Sky Q remote won't operate a Sky HD box. Their picture and initial description is for a Sky Q remote, but their later description that it will operate a Sky HD is wrong. The Sky HD remote won't operate a Sky Q box either.

skyscraper101

Standard Member
The eBay seller has it wrong. A Sky Q remote won't operate a Sky HD box. Their picture and initial description is for a Sky Q remote, but their later description that it will operate a Sky HD is wrong. The Sky HD remote won't operate a Sky Q box either.

Thanks.

Do I understand right that there is no IR function at all on these remotes? The remote itself suggests so, but then I read that there is some ability to change from bluetooth to IR by pressing buttons 4 & 6 together via here (see post 4):

1. Once it is working both Q box and TV press 4 & 6 together on the remote until it’s led flashes four times.
  2. This remote will now work the Q box and TV by Infrared.

So at the very least could it be used to control the TV? Thing is I don't actually see any infra red component to this remote. So I'm quite confused.

logiciel

Agreed they’re better looking.
It’s still not likely that one will work the other whether it’s to do with BT and IR or not.

skyscraper101

Standard Member
So, can anybody give me a definitive on this? Do these remotes even have IR? The Sky forum suggests yes but there is a distinct lack of info on backwards compatibility with older Sky boxes.

logiciel

They can control TVs so they must have IR.
What they use for Sky Q receivers is a different matter and that’s what they’re intended for.

rs101

I haven't tried the pressing 4 & 6 trick yet, so I'll report back when I'm home later.
It won't control a Sky+HD box - it simply can't send the correct codes for it.
Setting it up to control the TV could be a challenge too as the code list is displayed on the Q box.

skyscraper101

Standard Member
It won't control a Sky+HD box - it simply can't send the correct codes for it.
Setting it up to control the TV could be a challenge too as the code list is displayed on the Q box.

Thanks, yeah. I tried everything yesterday. Including switching from bluetooth to IR but no dice.

Looks like I'll need to get a refund from the eBay seller for the inconvenience.

logiciel

Of 4.99!

logiciel

They sure should!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom