Can I use a Sky HD box for freesat ?

rupertx

If so what do I need ?

Ive been using a sky + box for getting freesat and it has always worked faultlessly.
Other than the noise from the HDD.

However, I have the opportunity to aquire a Sky HD box and have just tried it prior to committing.

It gets all the menus etc up but says it is getting no satellite signal. Do I need a new LNB or something ?

echrada

Banned
If your Sky dish hasn't been installed properly you won't have proper reception. You also need a 'Free to Air' Sky card. You can buy them from Sky.

Starburst

Novice Member
It gets all the menus etc up but says it is getting no satellite signal. Do I need a new LNB or something ?

Did you turn the power off at the mains before disconnecting the two LNB cables and then fitting them to the SKY+HD?
If not then you could have damaged something, turn the power off and reconnect the SKY+ and lets hope that works. If it does power off and reconnect the SKY+HD, making sure the connectors are clean since the dish/lnb and cabling don't care what SKY box (or freesat) they are connected to.

Are you sure the SKY+HD is a working model and is every channel reporting no signal?

rupertx

Only got one LNB cable as I dont use the record facility.

Yes, all turned off before I cahnged any cables over.

I am assuming that I need a new white viewing card and will have to have it paired to the box ?

Ive connected the Sky+ box back up and all works fine, with or without the old blue skycard

logiciel

If you're not taking a Sky subscription then of course you don't need any card.
With a £20 FreeSatFromSky card you'd get two or three more channels.

rupertx

OK, so any idea why the HD box says No satellite signal being received" ?

Are there any settings I need to change ? Ive had a browse through the menus but dont really see anything which would prevent a signal

abs

similar issue here. if i bought a second hand sky hd box and plugged in the single cable from the dish will i receive the free to air hd channels?

rupertx

similar issue here. if i bought a second hand sky hd box and plugged in the single cable from the dish will i receive the free to air hd channels?

Hi...

Yes, you need to go into the hidden setup menu and enable "Single feed mode"

All working fine here now.

I only have one small issue to resolve now.
I put all my feeds through an AV receiver and Ie always had the volume adjust show on the plasma.
However, since adding the HD box I cannot get it to show now.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom