Can I use a Sky HD box for freesat ?

rupertx

If so what do I need ?

Ive been using a sky + box for getting freesat and it has always worked faultlessly.
Other than the noise from the HDD.

However, I have the opportunity to aquire a Sky HD box and have just tried it prior to committing.

It gets all the menus etc up but says it is getting no satellite signal. Do I need a new LNB or something ?

echrada

Banned
If your Sky dish hasn't been installed properly you won't have proper reception. You also need a 'Free to Air' Sky card. You can buy them from Sky.

Starburst

Novice Member
It gets all the menus etc up but says it is getting no satellite signal. Do I need a new LNB or something ?

Did you turn the power off at the mains before disconnecting the two LNB cables and then fitting them to the SKY+HD?
If not then you could have damaged something, turn the power off and reconnect the SKY+ and lets hope that works. If it does power off and reconnect the SKY+HD, making sure the connectors are clean since the dish/lnb and cabling don't care what SKY box (or freesat) they are connected to.

Are you sure the SKY+HD is a working model and is every channel reporting no signal?

rupertx

Only got one LNB cable as I dont use the record facility.

Yes, all turned off before I cahnged any cables over.

I am assuming that I need a new white viewing card and will have to have it paired to the box ?

Ive connected the Sky+ box back up and all works fine, with or without the old blue skycard

logiciel

If you're not taking a Sky subscription then of course you don't need any card.
With a £20 FreeSatFromSky card you'd get two or three more channels.

rupertx

OK, so any idea why the HD box says No satellite signal being received" ?

Are there any settings I need to change ? Ive had a browse through the menus but dont really see anything which would prevent a signal

abs

similar issue here. if i bought a second hand sky hd box and plugged in the single cable from the dish will i receive the free to air hd channels?

rupertx

similar issue here. if i bought a second hand sky hd box and plugged in the single cable from the dish will i receive the free to air hd channels?

Hi...

Yes, you need to go into the hidden setup menu and enable "Single feed mode"

All working fine here now.

I only have one small issue to resolve now.
I put all my feeds through an AV receiver and Ie always had the volume adjust show on the plasma.
However, since adding the HD box I cannot get it to show now.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom