Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Can I use a Quadscan with my 708mm

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Sammy Jankis, Apr 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sammy Jankis

Sammy Jankis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

At the moment I am using a Pioneer 737 connected via component to the Barco 708mm. Using the Barco line doubler in the pj I am not completely happy with the picture.
    Does anybody out there know how far the pj can be pushed regarding tripling, quadroupling (is that how you spell it?) or scaling?
    Also I see no great improvement in the picture when playing region 1 discs in progressive mode. I have been through the menus and I think it is all set up correctly but it actually looks the same as if doubled. I did see the Tag demo at Bristol showing the difference between progressive and non progressive and I think I should be seeing something more substantial.
    If anyone could help me I would be very grateful.
    Thanks a lot

Sammy

2. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Sammy
    Your 708mm has an upper limit of 50Khz which means that it would cope with line doubled or trippled from a quadscan. Quadrupled would push it over the top from physical capabilities.

I personally think the Barco Vision 708mm looks best line doubled - Pretty much as you have it. Trippleing is tough to get spot on but it can be done.

The Barco internal line doubler did not have film recognition so is quite old by line doubler standards. (stitch the PJ off) Open the cover and drop/lift the chasis that undoes by two screws in the corner. Mounted between two heat sinks is aboard about 4 inches square this is the LiDo. On it is a small chip with 6-8 legs that has a label which tells you the soft ware level. Any thing less than V1.10 needs upgrading to get rid of the jaggies.

Progressive and line doubled should look the same - Near as damit they are (though if you listened to the Tag demo they told you a lot different)
    (Enter Gordon stage right)

The TAG Progressive DVD player was being shown on a Cine 8 (£19K) so you should have seen a difference.

The early 708 series did have problems with RCE (Regional Code Enhanced) disks which causes the image to fluctuate in brightness.

Hope that helps

3. Sammy Jankis

Sammy Jankis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a lot Roland for your help.

Does anyone know if scaling is a worthwhile option for this pj?
    Is it physically possible or is it too expensive considering the value of the pj?

Thanks again

Sammy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.