Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

can I use a pal to ntsc converter ?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by mypetsandi, Mar 3, 2003.

1. mypetsandi

mypetsandi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello i'm for the united states of America, hello to all! I have a problem i bought a Panasonic digital cam corder model no. nv-ds29b I got it in Singapore, I wasn't told that it was on a pal system, so now it won't work on my tv or vcr. i was told to just buy a pal to ntsc converter and it will be fine. thats an expencive item! over $250.oo! I pail over $800.00 us dollars for it! (got taken on the price i know!) but panasonic will not help me on this. can you tell me what is my best option? I got it in oct of 2002
    thanks from Boston Ma.

2. punikki

punikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi mypetsandi,
    Here are few options that you can use:

1. Buy a new tv with PAL capability (atleast in Europe, allmost all new tv sets have PAL/NTSC capability, Philips is one fex.) and play videos with your camcorder.

2. Capture your videos to PC, use software to convert PAL movies to NTSC, Ulead movie factory will do that nicely, then record to VCD or better quality DVD, or connect PC with TV-out to your VCR and record them that way after conversion. This way you will lose some picture quality, but is cheaper that those converter gadgets.

Hope this helped.
    Punikki

3. mypetsandi

mypetsandi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well, I think i told you I'm in the usa. Boston area, and I don't have a fire wire connection on my computer; as for a tv. I'm not sure if they sell tv's with that pal to ntsc conection, my sister says she dosen't have one either. but those converters cost around $250.00!

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,824
    At USD250 for a converter, that is very cheap. So it probably isn't very good. To get even just reasonable results you probably need to spend between 2 and 4 times that amount.

There isn't an easy answer I'm afraid. I'd guess that there WILL be some TVs on sale with PAL abilities - but in the US they are going to be a very niche-market thing.

5. mypetsandi

mypetsandi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm still trying to locate help from panasonic in the uk because only they can tell me if it's worth all this troble! I'm told that the camara needs to be conferted to ntsc, so now i'l really confused!
    this is Barbara from Boston Mass usa

6. kiwiranger

kiwiranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Barbara

The PC firewire way is going to be your cheapest way to go. Firewire cards are very cheap these days (I'd be surprised if you paid more than $40 for one).

Cheers

Chris 'kiwiranger' Parke

7. oemrules

oemrules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You should have bought the PAL-to-NTSC converter here in Singapore also. It shouldnt costs that much (I think around 100sgd only).