Can I use a Netgear WPN802 v2 to extend/boost my wireless network?

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've got a Netgear WPN802 v2 Rangemax Wireless Access Point and I'd like if possible to make use of it to boost the wifi signal into the living room (the router is attached to the BT master socket at the front of the house by the front door).

In actual fact, I've got two of them, so could I add the 2nd one as well & stick it in the shed!? :smashin:

I've got an O2 router, which is why I'm not sure if these can be used.

RangeMax™ Wireless Access Point - WPN802

Cheers.

it depends, there are a couple of ways you *could* use them together, to increase wireless coverage of your home:

the de-facto way of covering an area with wi-fi is to have multiple access points dotted around, all connected by ethernet backhaul....so, if you have already or can run an ethernet cable from the O2 router to the location of where you need more wireless coverage, that is the best way to do it

the other way - repeating the signal wirelessly, requires that the O2 router supports "WDS" Wireless Distribution System Repeater mode ....im not familiary with the O2 router, so read the manual/look in the GUI wireless settings for any "repeating" or "WDS" options

the Netgear supports this and all you do is enable repeater mode in both and input each others MAC addresses .....of course this only works, if the 2nd access point is actually in range of the other one LOL ;)

...so what you are supposed to do, is walk away from the main AP with your laptop (or other device that can indicate signal strength) and find just where the signal starts to drop off from 100% ...then go back a bit, and place the 2nd access point there...that ensures you actually have a good signal to repeat

..the limitation is that wireless is half duplex communication, so each time you repeat the signal, you lose half the bandwidth...so more than 2 or 3 hops away and you end up with bugger all ...so its really a last resort, if at all possible, run a cable to the remote AP :smashin:

Ok...

I've logged into the O2 router, done a search for Wireless Access Points and it's found the Netgear box that's plugged in in the living room (it's not connected by ethernet, just into the mains).

So the router can see the Netgear box, does this now mean that the wireless is stronger in the living room, or do I need to do something else?

log into the netgear box direct from your laptop (its not plugged into the network)

give the netgear box the same SSID as the O2 box and the passphrase/security the same

put it on a different channel, if O2 is on 1, then netgear on ch 6

enable DCHP in the netgear box so it gets an IP from the O2 box over the ethernet

unlplug from the netgear box and plug it into the ethernet, reboot it

you should then be able to connect to the netget box wirelessly with the same settings in your client, your client should "roam" between the 2 access points,whichever it gets the best signal from

I just can't connect to the Netgear box though.

I've given my laptop an IP of 192.168.0.210 as per Netgear's manual and I did connect initially, but now I just get an "Internet Explorer cannot open the webpage" error. :confused:

The Netgear instructions don't mention them, but should there be a default gateway or DNS entries on my laptop?

I've even turned the Windows Firewall off, thinking it might have been that, but it's still the same. :(

[Edit] - I'll try doing a factory reset on the Netgear box.

Last edited:
Ok, that wseemed to work and I can now log in to the Netgear box! :thumbsup:

log into the netgear box direct from your laptop (its not plugged into the network)

Done!

give the netgear box the same SSID as the O2 box and the passphrase/security the same.

Done ( I think!)

put it on a different channel, if O2 is on 1, then netgear on ch 6

Can't seem to find that option...

enable DCHP in the netgear box so it gets an IP from the O2 box over the ethernet

Done-it says it#s "Updating Settings" currently.....

unlplug from the netgear box and plug it into the ethernet, reboot it

Will do.

you should then be able to connect to the netget box wirelessly with the same settings in your client, your client should "roam" between the 2 access points,whichever it gets the best signal from

Let's hope so! :suicide:

Ok...

• I've changed the SSID to the same as the O2 box. :thumbsup:
  • I've put it on channel 1 (as the O2 box is on channel 6). :thumbsup:

But when I then click on "Basic Settings" ( to go in and enable DHCP), it times out and can't connect. :(

[Edit] - Except now I can after closing the browser and opening a fresh connection the the Netgear box. :confused:

Last edited:
A-Men!

Finally got it working! :D

In the end, this was all I did to get it working...

1. Reset the AP to default and updated the firmware.
2. Logged in and entered the SSID of my existing Wi-Fi network.
3. Entered my current Wi-Fi password.

I then turned off the Wi-Fi in my router, plugged the WPN802 in in my living room and connected it via ethernet.

I now have Wi-Fi via the access point, even though I haven't entered a static I.P. :clap:

I think I'll reserve and I.P address for it within the router, but other than that, Halle-lu-yah!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom