Question Can I use a NAS to record TV instead of a USB drive?

JDXAV

Established Member
Reaction score
I have two different LG TVs both with WebOS3 and freeview HD; featureset is virtually identical including ability to have a "DIY DVR" by plugging in an external USB device for storage. My tests with thumb-drives showed they weren't compatible so I was meaning to buy something that was.

But then I am also planning to sort out a NAS to centralise all our media, etc. So I was wondering if there should be a way to use the NAS as the TV's storage device? I get the impression the TV only supports recording/playing to USB not via ethernet (does it seem likely?) but can I still achieve this easily? Or is it one of those cases where the kit to make this work would cost more than just buying a USB drive for the TV?

My main TV is the LG 43UH610V, the other one I'm not sure but less bothered about.

I could be wrong here, but as far as I know The TV needs direct access to the storage to record to it.
Usually that means USB only.

Most TVs do not have the facilities to write received digital content to storage over a network.

That would be what I'd expected too @andy1249 - I suppose I'm intimating the question "can I do USB over ethernet"? i.e. can I fool the TV into thinking it's got a local USB drive but actually the USB lead goes into my LAN without the TV realising.

I doubt it.
Ive never seen anything like that.

I was once looking into doing the same thing.
The closest I could get was a nas or server running plex with some USB DVB T tuner dongles attached.
Essentially that means turning the nas or server into a TV receiving recording device.

I found no way of going direct from an actual TV to the NAS for recording.

Actually there is ALMOST a device to this.
A now defunct company made this HSTI WIRELESS MEDIA-STICK WMS186U01 (available on Ebay)
It USB device that impsonates a USB device but connects to a wifi NAS.

The big drawback is that it doesn't allow writes !!! Why it didn't allow this was a major flaw.

Even if the recordings could only be read by the TV that wrote it Id still prefer it to a disk drive sticking to the back of the TV.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom