Can I use a 3rd party router with BT Broadband

brad123

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We use the BT smart hub router but it's not very good. So can I get a 3rd party aftermarket wifi router to use with BT broadband, is this allowed or do I need certain login details etc? If so can anyone recommend one.

Thanks

Yes you can.
All you need is a user name of [email protected] and password BT.
I’m using a TPLink router linked below. Newer versions than mine apparently have quick set up details already included. You just select BT as your ISP.
Mine has been no faster than a home hub, but rock solid with no regular automatic reboots, no Wi-fi drop outs etc etc for about 3 years now.
When I’ve tried my HH5 during that time it hasn’t been long before I’ve gone back to the TPLink.

Whatever you buy, make sure it’s a modem router unless you have a separate modem, and keep your Homehub safe as BT might ask for details from its logs if you ever have a fault.

Yes you can. I'm using a Zyxel VMG8924-b10a on a VDSL BT line. Current uptime is 300 days. Rock solid and decent wifi. I'm running DSLStats too and Broadband Quality Monitor from Thinkbroadband, just because I like to see wha't going on all the time.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom