Can I use 2 receivers from 1 dish?

andrewmellor

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
We currently have sky digital in my front room and a sky 'mouse' which was run to the bedroom (now to the dining room)
We now have a new tv in the dining room and would like to watch sky tv on this set as well.
Can we buy another receiver and connect this to the exisiting one or get a double output from the dish or even add another mouse???

Any help/advice most appreciated

Thanks...Andrew

Do you want to watch the same channel on all the TV's or do you want to watch different channels on the other TV's?

The answer to that will determine the route open to you.
If you want to have a single subscription and distribute the channel around your home then a simple RF distribution system will do the trick, I am not 100% positive but I think there are units that will also allow a TVlink (mouse) system to operate at the same time.

If you want to watch other digital channels on the different TV's then replace the single LNB on the dish with a Quad LNB and that will allow you to run upto 4 STB's independently of eachother.
Then get some FTV smartcards (Assuming you can) to watch the FTA and FTV channels on the new digiboxes or take out 1 or more mirror subscription from SKY (£15 a month each).

Thanks Starburst,
I'm was just thinking of having the same channel, but your suggestion of a quad lnb sounds better if I can get hold of another receiver as I can then watch different channels as well
Do they use the same dish or is it a new complete dish install?
If I use a splitter to distribute the signal does it lose some quality?

By the way I used to live in Ilkeston......small world eh!!

cheers..Andrew

SKY use a Philips Quad LNB which comes with some adaptors to match the existing range of minidishes. If you go for another make then you would need to confirm it will match your type of dish.
If you went with SKY they would use the dish already installed unless it was in poor condition then they might decide to replace it. An independent would probably re-use any existing hardware and if you are comfortable with your DIY talents it can be done easily enough with a little care.
SKY will sell you a second digibox (Well minbox, digibox is extra) with installation for around £149 however I am not sure if that deal has to include the mirror subscription.

I've never used a full scale RF distribution system but if it's properly installed I would not expect a picture any worse than a direct RF feed from the digibox or aerial.

Small world indeed:)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom