Can I use 2 homeplug networks in same house

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by Rambles, Jun 13, 2015.

1. Rambles

Rambles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,154
    My plan is to use..

1. TP Link AV1200 homeplugs with the ADSL connection (via a BT Home Hub 5), and also to create the main home network for sending AV around the house from server to client machines.

2. Netgear 500 Powerline Wi-Fi Extender kit to connect to a 4G router (Huawei B593s-22) at the point in the house where there is the best signal (very top corner of 3 storey house), then the wi-fi extender to bring that signal down to the ground floor via the powerline connection, for wifi use only.

So the question is - will this work?!

I've never used homeplugs before, so I am wondering if the two different systems will conflict with each other?

Many thanks

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  2. Rambles

Rambles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,154
    Maybe I'll be the first to try this?!

Got another month or so to go before the move, so if no feedback by then, I'll give it a try, but buy the kit from somewhere with a good return policy ;)

3. cjed

cjed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +587
    Well, the two homeplug systems you mention will work together as a single network - see this post.
    You should be able to get them to work as two independent networks by using the encryption feature that homeplugs have (to prevent data leakage to other installations on the same mains).

Be aware though that homeplugs are a "only one device can transmit at a time" type of network (like WiFi) so you may see significantly reduced bandwidth when both pairs are active at the same time.

4. Rambles

Rambles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,154
    Hmm, hadn't thought of the loss of speed, that's not good.

The other option, to keep them separate, is to run a long ethernet cable down the stairs for a year or so (not very pretty, or safe) or use MoCA adapters, as there is a Coax system already wired into the walls, but these seem to be very expensive.

Thanks for your input!

5. Kristian

Kristian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    You could probably keep it all on the one network and split your devices using static and DHCP IP addressing. Leave the 'slow' devices on DHCP and have the 'slow' router as the gateway and then static address the devices you want to use the 'fast' link using the 'fast' router as the defautl gateway. Or do it the other way around, whichever is easiest. Having to statically address one set may be too much hassle though.

Another option could be DHCP for the whole lot but add a static route (with a better metric) to the one set of devices that need to use the 'fast' link, or vice versa again...

6. Rambles

Rambles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,154
    Thanks! I think I follow your thinking. Networking is not my strong point. :confused: I didn't realise it would be possible to have 4G internet and an ADSL internet all on the same network. If so, then I could just get the TP Link 1200 powerline adapters in the whole house.

I also didn't realise there was a difference between a gateway and a default gateway!

So, maybe I could add in a wifi access point (via a switch) and have that use only the 4G internet, which we would use on our mobile devices for surfing. Then leave all the hardwired machines to use the ADSL internet connection, but all the devices would still be able to communicate to each other as on the same home network.

Have I got that right? Sounds like a challenging config (for me) but I'll give it a go!