Can I use 2 centres instead of 1?

NEXUS-6

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have a problem with positioning a centre speaker because of a sofa being beneath the projection image. The two fronts are fine either side of this sofa but there is no chance of my wife letting me wall-mount a centre speaker beneath the screen. If possible I would like to split the centre channel between two smallish, pod-ish speakers mounted on top of each front speaker but I'm not sure what the effect of wiring two speakers in parallel to the centre channel of a receiver/amp would be and what would it sound like.

Is this possible? Any suggestions? Am I being stupid? What speakers (cheapish) could I use?

The effect of wiring two speakers in parallel is to halve the total impedance presented to the amplifier, e.g. two 8 Ohm speakers would now present a 4 Ohm load to the amp. Wether this is ok or not would depend on what the amp is rated to drive.

As for sound, I don't think it would sound good at all. The purpose of the center channel is to lock dialog etc to the screen. By splitting one channel between two speakers that are relatievly widely spaces apart I suspect that you will really lose the benefit of the center channel.

Yep, impenences are then added together.

final question - what difference will that make? I dont understand all this impedance business!

In theory - higher impedance less current drianed from the amplifier & softer sound, lower impedance more current drained from the amplifier and louder sound.

But that's just the theory - it's far more complicated than that as impedance is frequency relative! Nevermind!

NEXUS-6: does your amp have Center A and Center B? if so you could get a couple of very (VERY!) directional speakers and aim each to your listening position, that way you might get decent (ISH!) center performance! It could be argued that you might leave the center out, set it OFF on the amp and let the center channel be mixed into your front left/right channels! Experiment!

What i would do: install it where it should be (THE CENTER!) when wife is not at home! Then fight about - she'll forget about it eventually!

Perhaps consider an NTX flat panel speaker for your center channel. Quite unobtrusive.

In your amp speaker set-up, can you not de-select the centre channel? Wouldn't the a/v amp DACs then process the dialogue channel to be mixed into the front L/R's?

It'll probably sound a bit rough, mind!

MikeRJ said:
Perhaps consider an NTX flat panel speaker for your center channel. Quite unobtrusive.

This seems like a good idea, then perhaps you could hide it behind the screen?

Mat

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom