1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I upgrade to Sky+ without having a land line?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by smithy, Sep 3, 2004.

1. smithy

smithy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently have sky fitted without a landline connection, can I upgrade to Sky+ without a phone line connection?

Thanks

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Under the terms of the contract for Sky+,you'd definitely need a landline as I understand it....we certainly had a couple of misunderstandings when they upgraded us to Sky+,regarding the old digibox and it's connection.
    In any case,the connection should be very easy...ours just uses a feed into the existing phone line from both boxes,and causes no problems,and I can't remember the calls costing anything much at all.

3. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's clear that a phone connection isn't essential because there are people on narrowboats using SKY+.

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Essential when it comes to ordering anything off Box Office....and is certainly a part of the contract agreement.

5. chips

chips

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    It depends who you talk to at Sky. One idiot, who was very forceful and extremely rude, on the Sky+ team told me that a Sky+ box must always be connected to a phone line.....wrong, the contract states one year. If you provide you own Sky+ box and have it installed/install yourself, then take out a "second hand" contract with Sky, you do not need to have it connected to a phone line.

I have two Sky+ boxes, one over a year old hence out of contract, the second was not bought or installed through Sky and has a "secondhand contract". Neither box is connected to a phone line. The downside is that I can't use the £10 mirror subscription and need two full subscriptions.

If you are wanting to do something even slightly out of the ordinary, you will get different answers from different people at Sky. All are convinced that they are correct and will not listen to reason. The only way is to speak to a supervisor and even they do not always agree.

6. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,619
    once upon a time i posted the section from the contract .I'll see if I can find it

7. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,619
    Taken from SKY+ conditions booklet

Section C - General SKY+ Conditions

C1. Telephone line connection

(a) you must keep your telephone line (which must be fixed and operational) connected to your sky + stb for at least 12 months from installation(if installed by sky) and at all times during your minimum period

(b) says if you have another box you need to keep both connected while subscribing

so if you install it yourself , you shouldn't have to.
    If sky install it ,1 year
    if you have a mirror sub , for as long as you have it , regardless of who installed it

hope that helps
    John