Can I upgrade this set-up to high-speed broadband

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by arthurb19, Jun 21, 2015.

1. arthurb19

arthurb19
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

we have just ordered an upgrade to fast broadband (engineer to arrive Tuesday afternoon), but I think we should cancel the upgrade because of the odd set-up we have.

The telephone/network set-up is unusual, and somewhat less than ideal, for historical reasons, as ever. The telephone line comes into the house on the first floor, with the master socket in the main bedroom. However, the main computer, for several years the only computer, is in an outbuilding near to the house, along with my hi-fi and much else. Please note that the buildings are all of stone with walls a minimum of a foot thick. So, we have an approximately 30' long extension cable (not the cheap kit cable) running from the rear of the master socket out through the eaves and across to the outbuilding, where the home hub is. A couple of years ago, wanting to use laptops in the house, and with the home hub on a window-sill facing the house, I installed an Edimax Wi-Fi range extender on a widow-sill in the house (facing the outbuilding), thus providing network access through the ground floor of the house. So we have the telephone line into the house, out to the outbuilding, into the home hub which gives a network there and over to the extender in the home giving wifi in the house. Yes I know it's a bit silly but we are where we are. I also replaced the HH2 with a HH5 bought off e-bay last year to give me gigabit ethernet ports to support my new NAS drive which supports a music network, amonst other things.

The problem is that I would think that the BT engineer (OpenReach?) will almost certainly only install the new HH5 in the house, and will not want to connect up to the long extension; indeed he will probably just want to disconnect that. As I now have two HH5s I have been think of making the old one (in the outbuilding) a slave/access-point connected via ethernet cable to the new one in the house. Unfortunately I think it would be impossible to expect the installer to provide an ethernet cable connection to the outbuilding even if I offer to pay extra. This would leave the desktop computer (my main computer), the NAS and the hi-fi off the network.

Can anyone say what you can ask the installers to do, and if they would just be prepared to connect us up to fast broadband using the set-up described above, so that we have faster broadband even if not as good as it could be? I should say that I would not be able to install cables through stone walls and between buildings myself, and I do not know where to fine a 'home' installer around here (Herefordshire, between Hereford and Ross-on-Wye).

I am about to try and cancel the upgrade and return the new HH5, but would be very grateful to hear if anyone thinks this is my only option.

2. Kristian

Kristian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    I can't answer the original question but what's the 'not cheap cable'? Telephone or Cat5/5e? If it's just telephone then can you run some Cat5E in yourself like you did with the extension cable?

3. neilball

neilball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +649
    There are a few ways to deal with the issue.

The first (and preferred) method would be to have a new ethernet cable run from the BT Master Socket to your outbuilding. This means finishing someone to run and terminate the cable, but once done it will give you a gigabit connection to your kit in the outbuilding. If you "quality" telephone cable is actually a cat5e cable simply terminated as a telephone extension cable then you already have the cable, it just needs re-terminating.

The second method would be to use a Homeplug over twisted pair cable (have a look on the Solwise website for suitable kit). this is designed to use the telephone extension cable as a carrier for Homeplug signals (rather than the usual units that route signals over your mains power wiring). Relatively simple to set up and use, with decent speeds although nowhere near gigabit.

The third option would be to set up a wifi point-to-point bridge with a unit on the house pointing at the outbuilding, and another unit on the outbuilding pointing back at the house. These are externally mounted, and powered over an ethernet cable. Once configured they act just like a cable connection, just without the cab,e physically joining the two units. Solwise also stock this kind of kit too, and may also be able to give you contact details for local installers from their dealer database. I've also used Uniquiti 5GHz Nanostations to do this successfully, however it is certain,y more work and needs a bit more technical knowledge to configure the units compared to options 1 & 2.

4. maf1970

maf1970

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    When connecting up phone lines\broadband the bt engineer only works to the master socket which is usually the main socket in the house. They do not have anything to do with extensions etc. If it is infinity you are getting you can ask to have the socket moved but there is a limit to how far.