1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can i upgrade then cancel contract then keep phone?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by elitestyles, May 9, 2005.

1. elitestyles

elitestyles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys,

Im currenctly on 02 and next week is upgrade time but i want to leave 02 to go with Orange as signal is pants with 02 in my area.

So the question is cud i upgrade then say couple days after cancel my contract and keep the new phone???

Please reply with any sort of answers as ive looked and no result.

2. stormjai

stormjai

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Not usually. When you apply for upgrade, even over phone, you will be tied in to another 12 month contract...

so be careful when you agree to an upgrade..

Jai

3. EnigmaCode

EnigmaCode

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    definitely not. that phone does not become your property until after the 12 months contract has elapsed. you can't keep the phone because it is still their property. if you tried to keep it, you risk prosecution.

4. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    As said above, you can't cancel and keep the phone. You might not even be able to cancel.

But why not just start a new contract with Orange? I've just renewed my contract with O2, and got a new phone, but there were better deals elsewhere had I been willing to change to a different supplier. If you walk into any high street shop, and say you want to start a new 12 month contract with Orange, you'll get a decent phone for free.

5. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    You will be tied to a new contract (normally 12 months) but the phone will be yours to do with as you please as it is separate to the monthly rental contract.

Lots of people who do not really want or need a new phone but who will still be using their existing mobile and contract, negotiate an upgrade for free and then sell the new phone on.