• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Can i upgrade from an i5 to an i7?

dillo161

Standard Member
Hi all,

Is it possible for me to upgrade from an Intel i5 socket 1155 sandy bridge, to a Intel i7 socket 115 sandy bridge?

And if its possible, do i just need to take out the current one and stick in the new one?

Thanks

shadowboxer

Established Member
Yes you can but unless your going to be using it for rendering or video/image editing and you need hyperthreading it's not worth the upgrade.

12harry

Distinguished Member
I think hyperthreading is a trade-name for "working the cores" - in essence it claims the "effective" number of cores is increased.
However, not all processes can use all these cores - so it will work for some apps, but not all.
(Shadowboxer, I though i5 also used this process?-perhaps someone can tell us the "equivalent cores" for an i5 -v- the i7).
Hope that helps.

EDIT: From what I'm reading this upgrade is "only" worthwhile if you must have every bit of performance, which is "never" the case, buy a jar of Best coffee (or stronger) and enjoy, while it Renders. It's a lot faster than mine, typically 5-6 times between Edit and a burnt DVD.

Last edited:

MarkE19

Hyper-threading - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Only the 2600/2600k have hyper-threading within the current desktop Sandy Bridge quad core CPU line-up. So although the main features between a 2500 & 2600 CPU are very similar a program that can make use of the multiple threads such as video editng & encoding, or when running multiple applications at the same time will see a fair advantage with the i7. So both the 2500 & 2600 have 4 cores but only the 2600 has 8 threads.

Is it worth upgrading? Well I suppose it depends on which i5 CPU you have but if not video encoding etc going from a 2500k to a 2600k is likely to not be worth doing. But going from a 2300 2.8GHz quad core i5 or a 2390T dual core/4 thread i5 to a 2600k 3.4GHz i7 may be a fair upgrade.

Mark.

Dillo, if you could post what cpu you currently have we could help you far easier. If you're not sure then download cpu-z and the program will tell you all you need to know :)

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom