1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I upgrade Arcam AV8 software on my own?

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Sab, Aug 13, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Sab

Sab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    My Arcam AV8 processor has Version 2.4 - I need to upgrade to Version 3 (current version) but I also know that Version 4 will be coming out quite soon.

What major upgrades am I missing by only having Version 2.4? Can I upgrade the software at home on my PC?

Crustyloafer - please help.

2. mightyoakbob

mightyoakbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21

It is possible to upgrade from version 2.4 to version 3 at home with a PC and a null modem cable. The PC will need a serial port. Arcam can supply a program and a data file to do this.

However, Arcam do not want to be swamped with AV8 machines broken by people trying to upgrade and getting it wrong. My inderstanding is that you should consult your dealer who will either upgrade it for you or, if the dealer has confidence in your technical ability can give you the program and data files.

I upgraded my AV8 from 2.4 to 3.0 some time back but found that I had to borrow a PC from work as mine at home simply would not do the job despite the serial port testing fine.

As for version 4, who knows. Arcam seem to wish to say nothing about this which is a bit disappointing despite being asked a number of times recently. Can't understand why they can't at least give some information but nothing so far.

When you consider the price and how only recently the AV8 was advertised as the puppies privates and that for some time much cheaper Arcam kit has had more extended facilities, it is about time Arcam did/said something in my opinion.

Bob.

3. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,243
    1. Please find attached a copy of the ammendments list as supplied with the V3 software. You can judge for youself whether the changes are worth upgrading to.

2. In order to upgrade the software you need a PC running Windows, a 9 pin serial port, a null modem cable (not a standard serial cable) and a copy of the software and the programming utility. I have access to and can send you a copy of the relevant files but this procedure is done entirely at your own risk and should you decide to proceed and you make a mess of it then your dealer and/or Arcam will charge you to to sort it out. I urge you to get your dealer to do it unless there is a major reason why you cannot do this.

4. AMCross

AMCross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    " but I also know that Version 4 will be coming out quite soon"

Was that not last years quote by Arcam

5. Sab

Sab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Crustyloafer - thanks for your help. I did take my Arcam AV8 to the dealer yesterday (Saturday ) but they were unable to do the software ugrade as it was their first time! (believe it or not). Arcam had sent the cable but not the AV8 programming CD-ROM - is this why it did not work?

I will have to now take a weekday off work so that my dealer - Unilet, New Malden - can get help from Arcam Technical Support on the phone and successfully do the upgrade. Don't get me wrong - Unilet are a good dealer but I was disappointed in them.

6. Greggles

Greggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Can Dealers not download Arcam software from the Arcam Dealer Intranet?

7. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,243
    All of the current software updates for all of the current product can be downloaded by the dealer from the Arcam Extranet area of the website. All the ndealer needs is the right cable, it is not necessarily Arcam's responsibility to have to suppy the correct cable too.

8. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Yes everything is available for download from the site 24hrs so this shouldn't have happened. However the dealernet is only a few months old so it might be that the saturday staff in the store had not been given passwords etc or may not have even knew it existed.

9. Sab

Sab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    The dealer where I bought the Arcam FMJ AV8 has been a FMJ dealer for 7 years and the guy who tried to do the software upgrade was a regular member of staff. So no excuses can be made on their part!

I complained to Arcam today and they were very surprised. I guess I have to go back to my dealer during a weekday so that an Arcam engineer / technical support person can help them. But should I really be doing this ? No is the answer!